Pre-Meds who are anti-social and do very little ECs

medigeek

Anyone see these types of people a lot? Typical profile is:

anti social (doesn't talk much)

socially awkward

wierd in general

very book smart

not "real life smart" at all

participate minimally in ECs (ex. a sport)

in other words... people who do nothing but study.

Odds of getting into med school probably close to 0?

The first thing I learned in university is to never trust what you see, what you may assume from someone. What I realised is that a lot of these 'antisocial' students get in medicine. How? They are in fact 'part-time rats'. They have 2 sets of personalities : 1 for university life, 1 for their personnal life. I've seen so many of these antisocial persons not say a single word in class, be shy and appear unconfident while outside of university and libraries, they would be strong and confident individuals with amazing social skills.

But that's my simple two cents ;)

Depends, I have always been one to keep quiet at school, I go there, do my work, then go back home. I do not interact much with my peers, not because i hate them or anything, i guess Im not that social. But that doesent mean im anti-social, i may be in some environements such as school, but not outside of that. I do not believe anyone can be fully anti-social in every aspect of their life, that would just drive them mad, maybe in some environement such as school, but they might be cool people outside of school.

The first thing I learned in university is to never trust what you see, what you may assume from someone. What I realised is that a lot of these 'antisocial' students get in medicine. How? They are in fact 'part-time rats'. They have 2 sets of personalities : 1 for university life, 1 for their personnal life. I've seen so many of these antisocial persons not say a single word in class, be shy and appear unconfident while outside of university and libraries, they would be strong and confident individuals with amazing social skills.

could not of said it better myself, this is indeed very true.

It is important to challenge ourselves beyond our comfort level. This is essential for our growth. And for sure, we will need excellent communication skills with patients, their families and with colleagues.

Shyness and other seemingly anti-social behaviours can be overcome by making an action plan and following it. All problems are temporary.

socially awkward

wierd in general

very book smart

I'd say getting a high gpa is the best indicator of ones chance of getting to medical school. Getting sufficient ECs is not really that hard even for anti-social people. volunteering in a hospital or doing some research doesn't exactly require one to be a social butterfly.

Also, interviews are generally not that good at finding out if one is social or not.

In general, I know quite a bit of anti-social people who got into med school, especially if you count us schools.

That sounds like me! I am such a keener in school that I sit in the front of almost every class and do my work during my time in between class at a study table. Most my friends just hang out together and go out to lunch and what not, usually i can't make it. I tried being more social at school but it ended with me getting a B+ in physics, the trick is balance. Now I hang with my friends about once a week just to make an appearance .. it seems to work. As for e.c.'s they are pretty social however they are like 1-2 hours a week each so i consider that part of my social life..

I may be extrapolating here, but don't delude yourself into thinking along the lines that having more ECs will make up for having a less than stellar GPA.

As Dental mentioned, don't judge people based on your brief interaction with them. The description you give apply to the majority of my Asian pre-med friends. What you wouldn't know is that they volunteer or work in basci/clinical research, volunteer outside of university, are part of a committee, student council, or club and are very social amongst their social circle.

People are different and approach the game in different ways. Not everyone follows a set standard of being "social".

One of my classmates once jeered that I would never be a good doctor because I wasn't "social" like her - I didn't spend my money to party every friday night and hang out with my classmates. Apparently, I didn't have the real life "smarts" to deal with people. Obviously she's not the nicest person in the world, but there isn't a set personality that defines all successful medical applicants - diversity is sought after and each have their strengths.

I think that over-estimating individuals under that banner is the trip to a very quick demise in this game...many have done some amazing things, they just hold their demeanor stable upon the rock of a specific personality. It's one coping mechanism when you're next to over 200 rabid premeds in class...

It is important to challenge ourselves beyond our comfort level. This is essential for our growth. And for sure, we will need excellent communication skills with patients, their families and with colleagues.

Shyness and other seemingly anti-social behaviours can be overcome by making an action plan and following it. All problems are temporary.

I completely agree. I used to be extremely shy.. Honestly 5-10 years ago I'm pretty sure I would have flunked the interviews very badly. I'm still somewhat shy, and still fear being embarrassed, but nowhere near where I was years ago! I've learned how to move past my fears/insecurities even though it isn't always easy. Interviews proved to me that I had grown a lot in that way.. I set out to have fun, and I did :)

As for school, I almost always sit by myself in the last row, do my own work. Doesn't mean I don't have friends, or that I'm anti-social. It just depends on who is around me and what the situation is. I can easily meet new people and make new friends, but I'll never be thought of as a social butterfly ;) Oh and I didn't have time to do any EC activities besides my 30+ hours a week of training! lol

socially awkward

wierd in general

very book smart

Unless they apply to Montreal and Sherbrooke and can lie on the MEM and TAAMUS without being caught.

Archived