Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate medical education and surgery

Hey guys,

I was recently accepted to several medical schools in US and Canada. I am very interested in surgery and would like to pursue this field in the future. I was wondering, will attending schools that have have strong surgical program (i.e. UWO), benefit me when it comes to matching into surgical residencies? I am kinda unsure of where to pursue my four years of UME right now. Thanks!

Guest copacetic

choose the best program that fits who you are and your learning style. then just rotate and do electives at places you think you would want to do your surgical residency.

Having done the CaRMS dance and matched into a surgical subspecialty I can say that it doesn't matter where you do it. Electives are your time to shine, and as long as you do electives in a number of different programs that's what really matters.

The only benefit would be that you'd have more exposure at your home school. I.e. if you went to Western, chances are the Western people would know you better as you'd have worked with them more. However, it's a slippery slope as it only works to your benefit if they like you. Sometimes too much exposure isn't a good thing. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
what "electives" are you guys talking about?

Optional rotations in your clerkship years. Every school sets aside several months' worth of elective time for students, which can be used for any rotations of your choice. Usually there's some minimal diversification requirement (e.g. at U of A you have to do at least 3 different specialties at least 2 weeks each), but otherwise you pick whatever you want to rotate through.

Archived