Premed 101 Forums

Residency Requirements

Hello,

I was wondering if someone with a similar situation or any knowledge on the residency requirements for Memorial and Dalhousie could answer this.

I was born in St.John's NF, lived there for approximately 2.5 years. My father worked in NF as a gp for two years, and did his residency in internal medicine at Memorial.

Then my family moved to Sidney,NS, lived there for app. 3 years.

My father did his fellowship at Dalhousie, and then worked as an internist for 2 years.

My question is, was anyone who applied to Memorial granted "in-province status" bc their parents worked their, or based on the fact that they themselves were born in, and lived in the province? Or are they granted any special consideration for the OOP seats?

*BTW I have been living in Ontario for 12 years now.

Also, I know that in the States, especially the ivies, if your parents went to a school, it would be easier for you to get in. Is that the case for any Canadian schools?

Hey,

You do not seem to meet the criteria to be considered as a NL resident, based on this webpage:

http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/Resident-Requirements/Newfoundland---Labrador.aspx

Furthermore, it states that you are expected to claim the same place of residence on all applications... presumably you want to apply to Ontario schools as an Ontario resident.

I'm not familiar with Dal, but I doubt it.

And lastly, I'm fairly certain, and certainly hope, that people are not grandfathered into Canadian medical schools.

Archived