Premed 101 Forums

Interview advice

Hi guys,

Congrats to all of you getting in this year. I was rejected post-interview and since then all I have been thinking of is how to improve for the next year (hopefully I will be granted an interview again).

During the interview I felt calm, didn't repeat myslef, had (I thougt) straight forward and logical answers... I was feeling pretty confident that I would be at least wait listed. I got 31/50 on the verbal MMI and its killing me!!! Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated from all of you successful people:D Love,

Pix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pixie,

I know this is a tough time for you, but I can completely understand what you are going through - was rejected post-interview last year.

To improve on the interview, I practiced a lot with other pre-meds. We formed a group on premed 101 and practiced twice a week 4 weeks before the interview. I also think its really important to talk to current med students and get their advice.

Another piece of advice is to smile at the interviewers not only when you greet them, but also during your response. I think it helps them feel more comfortable and demonstrates to them that you are relaxed and enjoying the process.

For U of A, I would stay on top of current events because they always seem to have 3 or 4 questions about the health-care system. http://www.albertaprimetime.com is a good website to check out debates on current health issues - go to the archives section.

PM me for further details. Good luck next year:) Persistence pays off!!

Hi Pixie,

I know this is a tough time for you, but I can completely understand what you are going through - was rejected post-interview last year.

To improve on the interview, I practiced a lot with other pre-meds. We formed a group on premed 101 and practiced twice a week 4 weeks before the interview. I also think its really important to talk to current med students and get their advice.

Another piece of advice is to smile at the interviewers not only when you greet them, but also during your response. I think it helps them feel more comfortable and demonstrates to them that you are relaxed and enjoying the process.

For U of A, I would stay on top of current events because they always seem to have 3 or 4 questions about the health-care system. http://www.albertaprimetime.com is a good website to check out debates on current health issues - go to the archives section.

PM me for further details. Good luck next year:) Persistence pays off!!

Thanks for the response, skp1187. Actually one of the reasons I was shocked with the outcome is that I DID practice MMI with other premeds, recorded my responses on my computer and talked to med students and doctors I know... So I went in feeling prepared and enjoyed the overall process. That's why it is so hard for me to understand WHAT it was that I DIDN'T say... or HOW I should have said it instead... Maybe my communication skills are not that great.

I'm in Calgary and I assume you are as well. I'd love to start a practice group with you in the winter if you are interested. :)

Asta: for sure. I am up for it.

I am in the same boat as Pixie! I practiced a lot and felt so confident before this year's interview at U of C. The only thing I can think of is that a) I didn't smile enough and B) I related everything back to medicine, which some have told me to do and some absolutely NOT. I'd love to practice for next year's interview, but I live in Vancouver!! Anyone else? e.g. Pixie or ...?

Pixie, I'm around Cowtown and although I don't know my interview score I must have done pretty well. I'd be happy to participate in your practice group and try to offer what advice I can. Based only on your online presence I really think you should have gotten in.

Thanks guys for your support. When I think back to what i did during the interview the only thing that comes to mind that I might have done wrong is... not being flexible enough with certain aspects of my answers. Maybe I came across arrogant, not humble enough.:confused:

Erk, thanks for watching out for us rejects!!! I doubt though that they will let you engage in any kind of MMI prep/ help activities in your first year. I know a few med students and all of them had to sign some kind of confidentiality agreement cause they were volunteering during the interview weekend, so the only advice they could give me was: be yourself and have fun haha:) Maybe I should PM you right now and pick you brain on a few things before you turn into an unaccessible med student:p

Thanks guys for your support. When I think back to what i did during the interview the only thing that comes to mind that I might have done wrong is... not being flexible enough with certain aspects of my answers. Maybe I came across arrogant, not humble enough.:confused:

Erk, thanks for watching out for us rejects!!! I doubt though that they will let you engage in any kind of MMI prep/ help activities in your first year. I know a few med students and all of them had to sign some kind of confidentiality agreement cause they were volunteering during the interview weekend, so the only advice they could give me was: be yourself and have fun haha:) Maybe I should PM you right now and pick you brain on a few things before you turn into an unaccessible med student:p

Yeah, I'm not sure how confidentiality will enter into the equation. Feel free to PM me now while I'm still just a shmo :) However, since we did interview together I think at least for a little while I know no secrets that you don't already.

I think I must have done well on the MMI, because I don't think it was my 3.0 gpa that got me in, so I'll tell you what I did that I think worked. I tried to make sure I looked at all aspects of the problem (like I didn't take a side right away, I just discussed the different issues and perspectives), and I tried to smile and make eye contact a lot. And the really big thing I think was that I stopped when I felt like I had nothing more to say, even though in one station I think I took less than half the time. But once I felt like I was done I didn't try to add anything and just sat there and tried to not look awkward!

I didn't do very much prep at all because I honestly didn't think I would get an interview, but I actually have a lot of experience with teaching and public speaking, so I'm sure that helped. So if you can get any public speaking opportunities, take them. I was actually really surprised that you didn't get in, Pixie, and I really hope that you get in next year! :)

You guys are awesome, I love you all so much!!! I wish I was starting this year with all of you wonderful people...

I think I should have spent more time on dissecting the given information instead focusing on arguing for my action plan. I think I put too much emphasis on why I thought the course of action I proposed was right. Bleah.

I recommend you start by writing out your answers to MMI scenarios, taking all the time you want. Get others to give you some feedback. You can probably get some good critiques in these forums. As you improve your thinking you can go on to answering these scenarios in real time. The more you practice the thought process the more efficiently you can use those 2 minutes to formulate your argument.

I finished every station with their prompts before the time limit and usually before the 1 minute warning except for 2. I went in knowing a thing or two I wanted to say and I was concise in presenting my stance and why I felt my stance was appropriate and also what factors I thought were the strongest in opposition to my stance. When I was done I was done, I sat there quietly smiling if we made eye contact. My overall recollection involves lots of smiling and eye contact. I shook hands at the beginning to introduce myself and end of every session telling them it was a pleasure talking with them.

I guess when I get my score I will know if I actually did any good, so I guess hold off on taking any advice from me for now.

On a side note, if you are at U of C, Philosophy 313 - Bioethics is a fantastic course to prep for medical ethics. Not a huge workload (2 papers and a written final) and the prof wrote the ethics book being used, he was a clinical ethicist and could throw a curveball into any argument you were making. I felt it was very helpful, almost like MMI prep except it was for grades and involved discussion with an expert in the field.

Honestly, a lot of it is subjective. My GPA was less than 3.6 and I thought I bombed the interview and somehow I got accepted. I think it was just because I smiled a lot and I'm a good speaker (clear, making eye contact, being confident, proper hand shake). As said by astrogirl, if you have opportunities for public speaking, take them - even if they make you nervous. I did, and it helped a lot. I practiced with some med students, which really helped too. One of them told me that he gave a guy a bad mark the year before because he didn't knock when entering the room. He didn't care what he said during the interview, his decision about him was made as soon as he walked in. I know that's one extreme example, but the point is there are a lot of other dimensions to the interview that people forget. Be polite and smile - it can go a long way.

I don't know my score, but I must've done ok (see the waitlisted/accepted thread). One thing to consider is that you may be overpracticed and might come off sounding rehearsed. Instead of 'practicing' I would suggest just making small talk whenever you can with strangers. It would definitely help get rid of some of the awkwardness of the whole interview situation! The public speaking is great too. And I would also suggest becoming something of a news junky. I read the news (online) pretty much everyday, and I think it definitely helped me, more so maybe than trying to cram a bunch of ethics/current events info. But then again, we're all just guessing really!

I don't actually know how well I did, but with my 3.3 gpa, it couldn't have been too bad. So I'm going to share what I learned:

One thing I learned during practice is to not try so hard to relate everything back to medicine all the time. Some MMI prompts really weren't asking for anything medicine based but I had initially tried to twist it around so it did, my answers came out very awkward and confused.

Doing that in an interview would make you seem too well rehearsed (as some members have already mentioned) or even fake. Some parts of the interview are just designed to evaluate you or get to know you as a person. If you try to get all the doctor related stuff out in those 8 minutes, there's not enough time to let how wonderful a person YOU are shine.

Good luck next cycle!

I don't actually know how well I did, but with my 3.3 gpa, it couldn't have been too bad.

mm88 you are my hero for doing that!

i have so much respect for uc because by interviewing so many people they give the many qualified people that there are the chance to show what type of a person they are/doctor they could be

this gives me hope for applying next yr. thank-you !

I got rejected post interview from alberta with a 12.95 out of 25. (The average was 18.89). I don't know what to think anymore. I walked out of the interview feeling excellent because I had smiled, acted enthusiastic and happy, and thought my answers were meaningful without being too "out there".

I've always thought of myself as a good speaker, and had some experience in debate and stuff like that (won first speaker prize, etc). I'm completely confused and have no idea what to do. The worst thing is that if I had to redo the interview I would do everything almost the same way. I have absolutely no clue what I could have done wrong :(

I got rejected post interview from alberta with a 12.95 out of 25. (The average was 18.89). I don't know what to think anymore. I walked out of the interview feeling excellent because I had smiled, acted enthusiastic and happy, and thought my answers were meaningful without being too "out there".

I've always thought of myself as a good speaker, and had some experience in debate and stuff like that (won first speaker prize, etc). I'm completely confused and have no idea what to do. The worst thing is that if I had to redo the interview I would do everything almost the same way. I have absolutely no clue what I could have done wrong :(

Your problem could be that you acted enthusiastic and happy. If it came across that you were acting at all during your interview, then that would be a big negative for me. The other problem I could see is that you might be way too rigid. If you got 12.95/25 and you are saying you would do everything the same...

The biggest advice I can give is that you need to be yourself. You need to emphasize the details that make you who you are. The next thing I would recommend is to find some practice questions. With each practice question, find 5 pros and 5 cons for whichever side you take if it is that type of question. Playing the devil's advocate is hard, but showing that you understand the complexity of both sides of an issue can go a long way towards impressing your interviewers. For ethics, take a firm stand in what you believe, but remember that you are not above the law and should make a mention that you will do everything you can, provided you are not violating the law.

That aside, smart attire, a firm handshake and great communication skills will push you a long ways towards being successful. Eye contact, posture, and not fidgeting/shuffle papers/tapping your hands or feet are all important.

I also have a lot of debate and public speaking experience, but last year I bombed the interview. For me, the problem was that even though I was trying to be myself, my interview performance came off as just that - a performance. While that's great for a debate, in an interview it can leave the interviewer feeling like he or she didn't actually get to meet 'you'.

Some advice from a Queens student that helped me: Everyone says to be yourself in an interview, but there's a self-self and an interview-self. REALLY be yourself.

This year I worked for months on my interview - doing practice questions, then going back and asking myself 'is that really what I think'? I talked to a lot of people who do a lot of interviewing (for jobs and things), and they taught me that the answer really doesn't matter most of the time. If interviewers ask you for the most important moment of 2011, as long as you pick something that makes sense the answer may not matter - they may be watching how you respond to a request to make a decision.

I don't know you, but from my struggle with interviews, smiling and acting enthusiastic and happy actually hurt me. The interviewers questioned my motives for wanting to go to med school. Flat out rejected. This year I walked away from interviews feeling like I had been myself, and if they didn't like me they at least didn't like "me" this year - and I got into one school and waitlisted at another.

I hope these comments are somewhat helpful. If you try again next year, good luck - it's not an insurmountable problem.

Lawsea really summed up a lot of how I feel. My basic strategy was to be myself, carry the interview like a conversation, and allow the interviewer to see my insecurities as well as all my thought process. I didn't approach each station with an answer, instead I approached it with an idea, a reasoning for why I had that idea, and a list of reasons why that might be the wrong idea. I don't think there is any "right" way to do an MMI, but this seems to have worked well for me. Basically I aimed for personal transparency.

I also tried to make one very small joke in every interview. Usually a little pun or a jab at my nervousness.

So you guys suggest being quite serious, cool, and composed rather than enthusiastic, happy, and expressive? That's the only real systematic thing I think I can definitely change, because all the other necessities such as handshake, eye contact, posture, etc. I'm certain (or at least hopeful) I had down.

The advice about being yourself and not acting is helpful. Maybe I was trying too hard, and it showed? At least now I have somewhat of an idea what I could have done wrong rather than a whole lot of confusion.

So you guys suggest being quite serious, cool, and composed rather than enthusiastic, happy, and expressive? That's the only real systematic thing I think I can definitely change, because all the other necessities such as handshake, eye contact, posture, etc. I'm certain (or at least hopeful) I had down.

The advice about being yourself and not acting is helpful. Maybe I was trying too hard, and it showed? At least now I have somewhat of an idea what I could have done wrong rather than a whole lot of confusion.

I think you can be serious, cool, composed, enthusiastic, happy, and expressive. They're not mutually exclusive. But I 100% agree with the advice of being yourself. People can (generally) tell when someone's putting on an act or when they're being genuine. Plus, it's easier to defend a point or idea when you're being sincere.

^+1

I didn't do much "practice" but when I did talk with some other students it really felt like they were trying to present an argument rather than telling me what they thought. Both of my parents are docs and I went over a lot of issues with them, but in a family discussion setting instead of an interview style setting and it was really helpful to hear how they presented their concerns and it made it clear that they were concerned about the patient/person and not so much on what is philosophically right or wrong. I am positive my parents would both ace the interview if they just walked in and sat down.

Group discussions (that are spontaneous) are great because everyone deals with personal relationships and ethics differently, so some questions really get some good debates going. If you can have discussions like this you will see a big difference between the way some people try to provide a right answer and the way they provide their own stance and I think that is something that comes through in MMI's, especially when you watch 10 people present on the same issue.

Archived