Premed 101 Forums

Science GPA?

I just finished up my second year and I'm sitting at a borderline competative cGPA of 3.76. My science gpa, however, is at about a 3.92. Other than the fact that this makes me look like a typical science student who knows nothing but science :P, I just wanted to know how much influence this would have on my cGPA which is not as impressive?

I'm asking mostly for the sake of curiosity. Don't know whether american adcoms place much emphasis at all in sGPA. But I'm hoping to aim for mid-top tier schools and I'm just not all that confident in my cGPA (however I am an american citizen if that changes anything, but I've been living in Canada for the past ~15 years so I don't qualify for any state residency benefits haha).

According to the LizzyM score (you can find out about this at SDN), sGPA counts for 40% of your gpa score. Example:

cGPA 3.0, sGPA 3.75 Total for LizzyM: 33

Add this to a 30 mcat you have 63 for your LizzyM score. Compare this to average gpa and mcat at any given school and you have an idea whether you should apply or whether it will be a reach.

Hope this helps!

Archived