Premed 101 Forums

BC student loans and summer work

Sev

I will be starting my first year of med school at UBC this September and was thinking of finding part-time work as a lifeguard over the summer to make some money (I am newly NLS Pool/WSI certified). I would probably be working 20 hours/week maximum. Since I'm new to the student loan application process (I got through undergrad with scholarships and savings), I was wondering if part-time summer work would greatly affect my chances of maxing out BC student loans and receiving any bursaries?

Thanks for any help.

I was looking into this as well. We can't access the application for StudentAidBC until June 1st, but there is a field for your assets and savings. So the more you have saved up, the lower the loan you are approved for (I think).

Having said that, I would save money up anyways, since you will have to pay the loan off after you're done school. And no point trying to hide income since the agency can communicate with the CRA.

Unmet need also comes into play as well. Since you likely will not be making any money during school or having family pay for school you will likely have a higher unmet need. Even if you made 5k over the summer I would highly doubt you would not get the max (unless you've got some larger savings/rrsp). The only impact would be a reduction in unmet need which could impact bursaries (ESP. Through Ubc)... I wouldn't worry too much about that though.

Archived