Premed 101 Forums

Writing and Inspiration

aaronjw

Hey everyone, thought I'd start a thread of a different topic. A topic of words that move and motivate in your own writing?

I don't read as much as I used to, although that's increasing since the purchase of my ipad (convenience) but one of the things I have found to be the biggest inspiration in my own writing is reading the words of others.

Whether it be for a proposal, an academic admissions letter (:)), a speech at a wedding or a eulogy. Drawing inspiration from the words of other works really helps me when I am struggling to find a style for the particular piece I need to write.

Anyone else like me and are some of you just naturally gifted with the written word?

Feels arrogant to say "naturally gifted with the written word", but depending on what else is going on in my life I'm a pretty prolific writer, and I think I'm pretty good at it for an amateur.

I'd like to start a novel or finish the one I was working on in Japan, but I haven't got inspiration at the moment... I'm too happy, I need a little emotional conflict to write :) I used to think most of my inspiration came from words, but now I think, in writing terms, it's my mood. When I did my most writing recently, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was living on another continent and we'd been conducting a long distance relationship for a year. It was starting to get difficult, and that came out as writing. I have also had big writing stints during my MSc when stress got really bad and I needed a safe outlet.

For me, I actually find drawing on the words of others can make me very derivative. Since I don't really write to publish, my work is usually very clearly influenced by whatever I was reading and enjoying recently. If I were ever to try to write something to publish, I think I would have to try to take a break from reading and watching movies for a few weeks first.

I think my writing is mostly inspired by the emotions I feel, and once I start, it becomes very easy to keep going. It doesn't come out on paper right away though, I have to turn each phrase around in my head until it's just right and then put it down! Which explain why my first "draft" in my masters actually ended up being my final thesis.

I am far from gifted as a writer. My inspiration in these such writings comes from my personal experiences and feelings about the matter of concern. It seems to work for me and I am true to myself.

I think you might be underestimating yourself on that John.. Judging from your posts here, you seem to have a knack for writing :)

I think my writing is mostly inspired by the emotions I feel, and once I start, it becomes very easy to keep going. It doesn't come out on paper right away though, I have to turn each phrase around in my head until it's just right and then put it down! Which explain why my first "draft" in my masters actually ended up being my final thesis.

Im the same way. When im in the right frame of mind i can write and write. When the piece is important then i typically look to sit back, reflect and ponder the emotional aspect of what i need to write.

I draw inspiration from movies amd TV shows with powerful, intellectual writing (Aaron Sorkin is a fav) as well as reading books. Often i've called on the bible (not religious at all) and quotes as a means to gain some inspiration.

For me, unless technical, everything i write thats to be read or heard by someome or an audience comes from an emotional aspect to connect with my readers or listeners.

I think you might be underestimating yourself on that John.. Judging from your posts here, you seem to have a knack for writing :)

Like you, in all my tasks

I am reasonably confident and competent.

My writing skills don't often extend

beyond 6 words, despite my efforts :P

Seriously, my thoughts and writing seem to flow as one; and when necessary, being precise and concise rules the day.

Archived