Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Visas and Tuition Reimbursal for Working Underserved Areas?

Hello,

I've had conflicting views from people about how much debt I would take on by applying to DO or MD schools. If I were to enter a DO school and do a residency in the US in family medicine, would I still be eligible for loan assistance by working in under served areas? Or is this generally only for American citizens? I am concerned about the massive amount of debt that seems necessary for these private schools.

Also if I go to a US MD or DO school will I have to wait a year after completing clinicals to get and H1B before starting residency? And if I were to get a J1 visa instead can I practice back in Ontario immediately when they require you to return to Canada for two years? Which is better in this case?

And last but not least, can I match into Canadian residencies coming from a DO program or would I need at least a US MD for a good shot?

Oh and I am applying to Canada as well. I wasn't initially intending to go to medical school at all so this process is newer to me. I have a 3.84 gpa with degrees in Biochemsitry and computer science and a 32 MCAT.

Thanks!

Well since no one has answered this in a few days, I'll just give my thoughts. I am not sure of the accuracy so take some precaution.

1. Having rotated through an underserved area in Pennsylvania, I have talked directly with the organization in charge of this program. They said Canadians could not qualify for the loan forgiveness. However, they said they would be more than happy to have me settle in the area :P . I do not know the case for other states as these programs are state independent jurisdiction.

2. How does waiting a year after clinicals give you H1B? The requirement for H1B is that no suitable American can be found for that specialized and required talent. It's a boatload of paperwork and any program can get it for you. However, the motivation to do so is a completely different story since it becomes unnecessary but superbad headache for them.

3. I would assume you can practice immediately in Canada after residency provided you have completed all the required licensing exams and become enrolled with the respective college of physicians group.

4. Carms has info regarding residency and DO match. For your summary, 1st iteration eligible for Ontario and BC, 2nd iteration eligible for Alberta. Rest a no go.

5. Not enough DO canadians to have any meaningful statistics on their chances.

1. Having rotated through an underserved area in Pennsylvania, I have talked directly with the organization in charge of this program. They said Canadians could not qualify for the loan forgiveness. However, they said they would be more than happy to have me settle in the area :P . I do not know the case for other states as these programs are state independent jurisdiction.

2. How does waiting a year after clinicals give you H1B? The requirement for H1B is that no suitable American can be found for that specialized and required talent. It's a boatload of paperwork and any program can get it for you. However, the motivation to do so is a completely different story since it becomes unnecessary but superbad headache for them.

3. I would assume you can practice immediately in Canada after residency provided you have completed all the required licensing exams and become enrolled with the respective college of physicians group.

Follow-ups

1) The ability to stay in the US post graduation would first be contingent on Federal Immigration policy. If you are H1B in residency, you have more flexibility in staying afterwards without the mandatory return to home country policy for 2yrs. That being said, if you are J1, the J visa waiver program for working in an under serviced area (which the OP seems interested in, but likely for the money) would allow you to stay without having to leave (the only bonus of the program), but is long term based (~3yrs I'm guessing). As far as any kind of federal assistance/loan money - not available to non-residents for anything.

2) For residency, as long as the institution is a university or non-profit (I think), they are exempt from the H1B quota and don't need to prove that they can't find an American. Having said that, I think a lot of schools decline to help you get one just based on the hassle and the cost to apply.

3) You can practice in Canada immediately after residency, but different provinces have different criteria for allowing you to be part of the college based on foreign education (although it is very simplified for the US trained). For Ontario, I know you are granted license with restriction (you will have to be supervised for a year). I'm not sure how much of a headache that would be. You MAY be exempt for Cdn qualifying exams if you complete the USMLE's - depends on each college. With COMLEX, that is an entirely different story.

For Ontario, I know you are granted license with restriction (you will have to be supervised for a year). I'm not sure how much of a headache that would be. You MAY be exempt for Cdn qualifying exams if you complete the USMLE's - depends on each college. With COMLEX, that is an entirely different story.

The rules have changed (again). COMLEX is equivalent to USMLEs, but regardless, in order to have an unrestricted license in Ontario, both USMDs and USDOs have to write the MCCQEs and be a LMCC.

COMLEX works the same as the USMLEs in Ontario for equivalency (as well as every other province/territory in Canada that recognizes USDOs to be equivalent to USMDs - the vast majority).

Alright thanks everyone!

I think I will apply to DO schools as well then. If it is not a big deal getting back into Ontario as a GP I would be very happy with that.

Should I be overly concerned with $250000+ debt coming back for family practice in Ontario? Is this possible to get knocked down in a couple years?

I have heard a lot about tuition credits as well which would help tax wise. It is my understanding after talking to Canada Revenue Agency:

Say for instance $200000 for 4 years tuition so 200000 tuition credits.

Doing residency if for instance you were payed 50000, you would get that full amount tax free and it would use approximately 40000 tuition credits since the first 10 grand earned is tax free anyway. So three years of residency would use 120000 credits. Then the first year practicing you could use the remaining 80000 credits on your income and get into a much lower tax bracket for first year. Can anyone confirm that this is how tuition credits work?

And the lady at Canada Revenue said you couldn't choose not to use your credits on the income. She said I couldn't wait until after residency to start using my credits which would be beneficial to me because they would be going towards a much higher tax bracket?

Am I worried about nothing? I'm 25 right now, I just don't want to be stuck when I'm done drowning in debt at 35! My parents will help somewhat with living expenses during the 4 years of school but they can't afford the level of debt I will be in.

Thanks for any more advice you can give.

Alright thanks everyone!

I think I will apply to DO schools as well then. If it is not a big deal getting back into Ontario as a GP I would be very happy with that.

Should I be overly concerned with $250000+ debt coming back for family practice in Ontario? Is this possible to get knocked down in a couple years?

I have heard a lot about tuition credits as well which would help tax wise. It is my understanding after talking to Canada Revenue Agency:

Say for instance $200000 for 4 years tuition so 200000 tuition credits.

Doing residency if for instance you were payed 50000, you would get that full amount tax free and it would use approximately 40000 tuition credits since the first 10 grand earned is tax free anyway. So three years of residency would use 120000 credits. Then the first year practicing you could use the remaining 80000 credits on your income and get into a much lower tax bracket for first year. Can anyone confirm that this is how tuition credits work?

And the lady at Canada Revenue said you couldn't choose not to use your credits on the income. She said I couldn't wait until after residency to start using my credits which would be beneficial to me because they would be going towards a much higher tax bracket?

Am I worried about nothing? I'm 25 right now, I just don't want to be stuck when I'm done drowning in debt at 35! My parents will help somewhat with living expenses during the 4 years of school but they can't afford the level of debt I will be in.

Thanks for any more advice you can give.

No that's not how it works. You apply for tuition credit every year and what you do not use gets carried into future years.

Second, your method of calculation is completely wrong, as well as the next guy who answered you. You are assuming that you can take your tuition and deduct from your future earnings like you would do to business expenses. Say, if you earned 200K and you had 100k of tuition, you want to pay tax on 100K. That is not how it works. Tuition credit is calculated at the lowest tax bracket and squirreled away as money you can use in lieu of when you need to pay future taxes. For example: you have 100k of tuition, at the federal level you are given a credit at the lowest bracket (15%) hence 15K of future taxes which you don't need to pay. Yes that equates to much less than what the intuitive method would have net you but just be happy you get something back in return in the first place.

Third, if you can finish a US education with 250K, I'll give you a cookie.

Archived