Premed 101 Forums

Textbook Advice

I was gifted a voucher for a free MgGraw-Hill textbook. The voucher is going to expire soon, therefore I want to order a book as soon as possible. I'll be starting med school at U of T this fall and so was wondering if anyone had advice on what textbooks would be recommend for first year med students. Thanks guys!

Toronto Notes is the ONLY textbook you MUST get as far as I'm concerned. It'll cover the most essential information for all your core knowledge / specialties

As for McGraw Hill - Harrison's (classic text, but might be too big), First Aid for USMLE Step 1 if writing the USMLE/ First aid for wards not bad intro to clerkship years, Case Files Internal Medicine, Lange books aren't bad either.

While I agree that Harrison's is great, I really have to disagree that Toronto Notes is all you need. But that's a discussion for a different thread :D

Full disclaimer, I love text books and use them. If you don't use text books, stick to the series I recommend at the beginning or Harrison's Medicine. Otherwise, pick something that you think you could learn more in. It's a free book!!

McGraw Hill does some series of books that I found useful in clerkship and studying for the MCCQE: Case files, On Call and the First Aid Series. Just about any from these would be useful.

Fitzpatrick's dermatology is brilliant - useful during multiple blocks where diseases have a derm component, plus in clerkship.

Greenspan's endocrinology is useful and straightforward. I had a crappy endo background and found this to be helpful in all 4 years.

JAMA User's Guide to Medical Literature - useful in Epidemiology classes, writing up your own research and analyzing papers for journal clubs.

UWO Uses Nelson's Pediatrics (not a MH book) but they do carry Rudolph which is used as a source for many docs.

Just another opinion. Congrats on winning! (what I assume is a merit based book award)

• 2 months later...

Archived