Premed 101 Forums

Prep course/ or no prep course?

Guest Philly

Guest Philly

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the prep courses that are available. Are they worth it? Which ones are good? How much do they cost? thanks for your thoughts

Guest Holly

I took the MCAT one time and got a 23O and I took a prep course and I got 34R the next time around. I really think they are worth the money. I took the Kaplan course. I would say I studied just as hard both times, but Kaplan helped me study the right and productive way. They gave us 7 or so full length practice exams in the actual building and room I wrote the real MCAT. By the time I had taken test I was so comfortable I didn't even flinch....

Spend the money.... Getting into med school is worth the $1,000 I paid.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Philly,

If you scroll down and have a read through some of the threads below this one, you'll find a fair bit of info relating to your questions.

I too, went the prep course route, trying both of them--Kaplan first and then Princeton Review, to boost my VR score--in sequential years. They worked for me, for some of the same reasons that Holly outlined.

Both of them have pretty good websites which outline all sorts of information. A caveat though: if you're thinking of writing the MCAT in August, your prep course options are dwindling (although there are still a few options left).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

Time to play devil's advocate....

I did not take a prep course - primarily because I didn't have the money but also because I didn't think I could stand to sit through the classes. I get bored easily when repeating material that I have already learned once and would prefer to review it at my own speed and on my own time. I wrote the MCAT last Aug and got a 39-41S. So, for me, it looks like I made the right decision. Everyone is different though. A prep course is not a guaruntee of a good MCAT score. Nor is not taking one a kiss of death. It depends on your level of comfort taking standardised tests and your ability to manage your own time and studying effectively. If you feel more comfortable taking a class - do it! If you hate the thought of it - that's fine too. Good luck!

Archived