Premed 101 Forums

military route for US Schools?

I am concerned about the financial aspect of attending an american school... Since there is a such thing as MOTP (Military Officer Training Program) in Canada where government subsidizes ur full tuition upon a contract stating you will work for the military for a certain number of years after becoming a doc, I am wondering if there is a such thing available from US government as well. has anyone have heard of it? i don't know where to go about in searching for such information :(

I am concerned about the financial aspect of attending an american school... Since there is a such thing as MOTP (Military Officer Training Program) in Canada where government subsidizes ur full tuition upon a contract stating you will work for the military for a certain number of years after becoming a doc, I am wondering if there is a such thing available from US government as well. has anyone have heard of it? i don't know where to go about in searching for such information :(

Such a thing absolutely exists for the US armed forces as well. There's a large number of people in my school that have signed up with the US marines, navy, airforce, army reserve. I myself received a recruitment email from the US Army reserve trying to recruit me (I'm a Canadian citizen). Apparantly, my research tells me that non US citizens have joined the US armed forces, and later gained citizenship. Especially if you are in med school there, I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get recruited. They pay for your tuition, and give you ~600-2000 dollars a month worth of stipend.

I assume the same thing goes on in other USDO and USMD schools as well.

sounds great! thank you for much for your informative reply. i don't have us citizenship yet, but i guess that's not gonna be a problem in joining the military? :)

not sure if you'd know, but for any other who can answer: after joining the military, my concern is whether the government will fund my schooling as international students pay three times-ish more tuition than the state residents.. would US military be willing to invest that much money for international students?! :( I know Canadian government doesn't even take our own canadian citizens into MOTP if they are studying at a school that requires 3 times more tuition fee (those studying abroad)

sounds great! thank you for much for your informative reply. i don't have us citizenship yet, but i guess that's not gonna be a problem in joining the military? :)

not sure if you'd know, but for any other who can answer: after joining the military, my concern is whether the government will fund my schooling as international students pay three times-ish more tuition than the state residents.. would US military be willing to invest that much money for international students?! :( I know Canadian government doesn't even take our own canadian citizens into MOTP if they are studying at a school that requires 3 times more tuition fee (those studying abroad)

My experiences at my school tells me that it's "not" hard to join the US armed forces. BUT, my experiences could be school specific - I'm just assuming that the same thing happens in all other schools - I could be wrong! You'd still have to first matriculate at a US med school first to be approached by a recruiter :P I had my chance, but I gave it up.. I'm too much of a coward to be shipped overseas to the next US occupied country lol :o

Internationals pay 3x more than US students? This might be true for some state schools - you'd need to be a US citizen/permanent resident to apply to those in the first place. In the private US school, internationals and domestic pay the same. I know a guy at SGU who served in the Canadian forces, he's getting his entire SGU tuition paid by the Canadian government.

Could a Canadian going to an american medical school sign up for the Canadian Forces and serve for them when finishing?

I actually went to an info session, at the time, they said no, you have to be at a Canadian medical school.. HOWEVER.. the friend I alluded to earlier is getting his tuition paid by the Canadian government, he's at St. Georges.. so I don't know how he pulled that off...

Archived