Premed 101 Forums

Pocket Squares at Interviews?

Pocket squares at interview?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Pocket squares at interview?

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't do it, its a bit over the top. You want to look business professional, just blend into the crowd.

If you want to make a statement, do it with your tie. Don't be the guy who looks like he's going for the interview and then out for a cocktail party... just my opinion. Seems like the poll disagrees with me ;)

I don't think a pocket square would take away from your attire as much as a really flashy tie. However, I still don't recommend you wear one (also I don't recommend wearing a flashy tie), since I haven't seen a lot of people wear them. Your goal for clothing on interview day should be to look professional, not memorable. You want them to remember you for what you said, not the way you look.

If its not part of your normal dress attire then don't.

Fake is easy to spot and you can tell if someome is comfortable in what they're wearing or not.

I wouldn't consider a suit part of any pre-meds normal attire.

A pocket square can complete the look of the suit. What do the male interviewers wear? Anyone who have been through the process see one with a pocket square?

I wouldn't do it, its a bit over the top. You want to look business professional, just blend into the crowd.

If you want to make a statement, do it with your tie. Don't be the guy who looks like he's going for the interview and then out for a cocktail party... just my opinion. Seems like the poll disagrees with me ;)

I agree on going against the pocket square, but not because you would stand out. It's just not suited to the environment/dress code. However I strongly advise against trying to blend in. Many people, myself included, advise the opposite. Wear some colour, spiffy shoes or a really nice belt. You don't want to look like you missed the memo on the dress code, but if you look like everyone else, you're likely to be forgotten along with everyone else. Don't kid yourself, for ALOT of interview questions, even the better applicants are not saying things which are drastically different from those applicants that barely miss the cut (which is alot of them). They might have an interesting story or two more than the next guy, but MUCH smaller things than dress can have an effect on the outcomes (see McMaster's study on the effect of WEATHER on interviewer's rankings of applicants, haha).

Archived