Premed 101 Forums

rewrite?

Guest paulyg23

Guest paulyg23

I just got my MCAT marks back - 9,9,9 S and was wondering on some "good" advice for possibly rewriting. My initial thoughts were not to bother rewriting. My GPA is okay and my EC are very good. Are there scores reasonable to say get in to UBC or Calgary (as a resident of both provinces)??

Guest James

As for Calgary, I know that they like to ask for 10/10/10 but they said to me last year, as long as everything else is very good, they`ll still consider you.

James

Guest Calgarian

I am a OP applicant and I got into calgary with a 27Q - which is not great....

Calgary is great because they care more about the applicant's total package than their MCATS.

You could always re-write, but not release your scores until you know if they are better or not - a win win situation

Guest BCgirl

Hey paulyg,

You probably already know this, but... you will have to apply claming the same residency status on all your applications (so you can't apply to UBC as a BC resident and Calgary as an Albertan).

Guest thats not true

thats not true. if you read the application correctly the criteria to be considered "in province" are very clearly outlined, and one can be a resident of two different provinces.

That seems like an unfair advantage. If you are from BC and went to university in Calgary. You are legally a BC resident if you returned home for summer and if you didn't you are considered a Calgary resident. At least that is what I have been told by admissions people

Guest paulyg23

I did two years of post sec at U of A then two at TWU and therefore am considered a resident both places. Its pretty lucky I admit but hey, I'm not complaining. Thanks for the advice.

Guest BCgirl

Hey that's not true,

I can be considered either both a BC resident for UBC and a NS resident for Dal, but Dal's website states:

"All applicants are expected to claim the same place of residency on all applications to medical schools. Failure to do so may lead to rejection of the application."

I know you're not talking about Dal, but I would guess that most schools are the same, so Paulyg can risk having "dual" residency, but I definitely won't be.

Paulyg, have you asked U of A if they're the same as Dal? I would do that before applying to both schools as in province.

Guest paulyg23

Hey BC Girl.

A. All I am going to do is follow the guidelines for each application.

B. If the U of C application guidelines state that I can be considered a resident for 60 hours of alberta post sec in two years than I will do that

C. I fail to see any "risk" here unless the Dalhousie admission ogres come and take my application away...

Guest BCgirl

hey man,

Sorry for trying to help you out. How much can one little phone call hurt just to double check?

I think you should not apply to medical school and become a comedian instead.

Guest missing Manitoba

I agree with BCgirl that it would be a good idea to call, just to be on the safe side. In a process like this where a minor error can jeopardize your chance of admission, it's better to check and not take any risks. If having two provinces of residency is not a problem, you're golden, whereas, if it is an issue, you've averted a potential problem for the future.

Guest Bruno11

I grew up in BC, but did two years of college in alberta. When i was going through the meds applications process I, like many others it sounds like, thought that you had to claim the same residency status on all applications. I applied to UBC, calgary and others as a bc resident. Some time later I received an e-mail from adele meyers(works in admissions office at Calgary) informing me that Calgary was going to consider me as an albertan resident. Since i too thought this was "against the rules" i told her what i understood to be the way it worked. She told me that as far as clagary is concerned they don't care what you claim on other applcations and would apply their residency requirements to my application there. She did however, leave a note on my file stating that i had indeed claimed bc residency when i first submitted my application so I would not be penalized if other schools asked.

I think this would be the safest thing to do. e-mail Adele and tell her your situation so that you have a hard copy of her response should any other schools question it. It is unlikey, but at least you have covered your bases..

Guest paulyg23

thanks alot. I do appreciate the advice. I just thought it was kinda funny about the "risk" factor - no hard feelings. I will definitely email adele and make sure everything is alright.

Cheers

Guest BCgirl

Best of luck! :D

Have a good summer

Edit:

I just checked my email, no hard feelings at all Paul. I was sort of in a bitchy mood when I wrote that post anyway! :)

good luck to you -- and if you can apply as a resident of both provinces w/o penalty go for it!

Archived