Premed 101 Forums

Our increasing connection with high-tech

Erk

That would become a whole other level of identity theft! I think it would become quite hard, perhaps impossible to really protect your "copies", especially since at that point we would be even more interconnected with technology. If everyone can upload/download, how do you enforce limits on stealing others' persona?

Forget your copies. What if someone hacks into your "prime" identity and implants suggestions? I hadn't thought of that one. Freaky.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But at the same time, we start getting into really messy stuff. Once we're at the point of downloading knowledge and creating brilliant minds in silica, we approach a technological point where processing power could potentially advance to infinite levels.

Personally I think we'd see the complete collapse of scarcity based economics. I think there'd be a large, very difficult patch where human nature required us to try to keep the "other" down, but I think this kind of revolution would eventually lead us to becoming an entirely new organism. I think/hope it'd be an organism with a greater empathy for other members, possibly due to the ability to actively share their emotions by downloading them. Not to say it'd be a utopia. I think there'd be whole new problems we can't even conceive of yet.

We're getting pretty distant future here though :)

Yes I think it's safe to say distant ;) Crazy and endless possibilities though. As much as I want to believe all this could bring good, there's also the part of me that can see some bad brought on along because it's hard to imagine suddenly all of humanity (however transformed) would be aiming for a common peaceful goal. Not utopia indeed.

That would become a whole other level of identity theft! I think it would become quite hard, perhaps impossible to really protect your "copies", especially since at that point we would be even more interconnected with technology. If everyone can upload/download, how do you enforce limits on stealing others' persona?

If it was possible, I would download Erk's brain for my VR and WS section on the MCAT. :P Or maybe stream it live haha.

Forget your copies. What if someone hacks into your "prime" identity and implants suggestions? I hadn't thought of that one. Freaky.

Totally freaky. There could also be a new generation of viruses, followed by a multitude of antiviral softwares and vaccines.

Totally freaky. There could also be a new generation of viruses, followed by a multitude of antiviral softwares and vaccines.

We'd simply be living computers by then. Everything you can do on a computer right now would become doable wrt human beings. How do you police such a society though besides hoping they work for a common "good"?

I don't think you'll need to worry about being "hacked" in the future. Assuming solid-state physics continues to progress at its current rate, quantum encryption should be readily available by the time trans-humanistic technologies become a reality. For those of you not in the know, quantum encryption is an unbreakable encryption method that takes advantage of quantum entanglement. I'm not hyperbolizing, either; quantum encryption is mathematically unbreakable.

Anyways, the second VR becomes a reality (pardon the pun), society is ****ed. 24/7 sex simulator with the partner(s) of your dreams (quite literally).

I don't think you'll need to worry about being "hacked" in the future. Assuming solid-state physics continues to progress at its current rate, quantum encryption should be readily available by the time trans-humanistic technologies become a reality. For those of you not in the know, quantum encryption is an unbreakable encryption method that takes advantage of quantum entanglement. I'm not hyperbolizing, either; quantum encryption is mathematically unbreakable.

Anyways, the second VR becomes a reality (pardon the pun), society is ****ed. 24/7 sex simulator.

Quantum encryption is amazing. I took quantum computing in my first year of PhD a couple years ago and you have to warp your mind just to think about the concepts. So cool though.

Going back to the topic on connecting humans with high-tech (this particular example is not as high-tech as artificial intelligence is, but still is quite amazing)- "Paralysed man can stand and move his legs again":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13444036

This I think we will be seeing a lot more in the near future. Used as a therapeutic means it poses (for now) less ethics/philosophical issues.

This I think we will be seeing a lot more in the near future. Used as a therapeutic means it poses (for now) less ethics/philosophical issues.

:) I dunno about that. From my understanding of the neural shunt techniques used in a lot of these methods, it would not be a long shot to suggest the possibility of adding a new pair of fully operational robotic limbs below one's real arms. That's a pretty interesting philosophical issue that could be possible within this decade.

:) I dunno about that. From my understanding of the neural shunt techniques used in a lot of these methods, it would not be a long shot to suggest the possibility of adding a new pair of fully operational robotic limbs below one's real arms. That's a pretty interesting philosophical issue that could be possible within this decade.

True. I guess in a way it does steer clear of the full-on debate wrt what makes us human, and do we have a soul. They're already working (and succeeding short-term) at connecting prosthesis directly to the nervous system as a limb would be so that they can be thought-controlled (w/ the normal impulses) and provide feedback. Pretty cool :)

Archived