Premed 101 Forums

Applying Post-University, Which program? Actuarial or Chem. Engineering?

CF987

Hey guys, so I got the interviews and everything, but I am waitlisted and it doesn't look like there is much hope.

So I have a few back up plans. I got into chemical engineering at Mcgill, biochemistry at Mcgill, honors chemical engineering (co-op) at Waterloo and co-op actuarial science at Concordia.

My long term goal is to go into Med but I am unsure of what I should take and would really like some advice.

I personally hate research, I would not want to do a bachelors in science even though that's the most likely thing to do if ur a med applicant. So if I don't get into Med afterwards, I don't wanna be 'stuck' with biochem, I'd rather have a job right afterwards so that's why I am leaning more towards Actuarial science and chemical engineering.

But I don't know which to take, I know I can do really well in both cuz I have a good work ethic.

I heard that they usually sorta "have" to take people from every program, so I thought engineering or actuarial science would be kinda good so I can stand out more if I do really well, you know.

Normally if I expected to do engineering my whole life, I'd do waterloo instantly cuz it's co-op- however, would I be considered 'out of province' for MED applications because I did university outside of quebec even though I am still a quebec resident?? I don't want to have less priority.

And please, any advice on what I should take of the choices I listed would help a lot and be greatly appreciated! And are the pre-requisites already done in CEGEP or do I have to do a bachelor's in science to get certain pre-requisites?

Thanks

I would go for a science major. Physiology would be the perfect fit I think. Biology is not extremely far, but it is more fundamental.

Just a hint ; you have no idea what is research and what areas of it can be interesting. When I got out of CEGEP I only knew one thing ; I would do anything but research. Now, I've been waiting for my summer to get into research, since the last 3 years, because I found a field that I really enjoyed (Social Determinants of Health).

Good luck.

You most likely would remain a Quebec resident if you went to waterloo. Check this out and see which one fits for you:

http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/

For example, if you were born in Quebec, you would always be a resident of Quebec.

And not to scare you or anything, but at my university, engineering classes seem to always have pretty low averages when compared to other classes. I'm not sure if this is because of the difficulty or if the students are just aiming for a pass (unlike say biochem where the majority of the class wants med).

Hope that helps somewhat

I had a friend who did a BSc in immunology and microbio before heading to Australia to do her med there.

I take it you haven't applied to chem eng yet? Or have you? Anyway if you haven't, I know you couldn't start comp eng in the winter so it might be the same for chem eng and you'd have to wait a whole year. Easier to get into a science program. I think the chem eng program at McGill is pretty ok though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help,

I checked the site and I think I will still be considered like a Quebec applicant.

And yes, I have already been accepted into Chemical Engineering, the deadline is June 1st though so I was unsure of going into engineering...I know it is very tough but I am just wondering, are there specific pre-requisites that must be done in a bachelor's of science program ? Or are the pre-reqs done in CEGEP and I can just apply to medicine straight after engineering?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have no preferences and want to go into medicine do a program that you're the best at so that you can get the highest GPA possible.

If you feel that you can get a high GPA wherever you go, then do a co-op program so that you can get work experiences and have a back-up.

Having been interviewed, I assume that you're pretty smart. I suggest you do a co-op program.

You would still be considered quebec resident if you go to waterloo so that's fine.

No one says that they need to take one from every program so doing programs other than a bsc does not help you in anyway.

Thanks for the help,

I checked the site and I think I will still be considered like a Quebec applicant.

And yes, I have already been accepted into Chemical Engineering, the deadline is June 1st though so I was unsure of going into engineering...I know it is very tough but I am just wondering, are there specific pre-requisites that must be done in a bachelor's of science program ? Or are the pre-reqs done in CEGEP and I can just apply to medicine straight after engineering?

For being in Engineering myself, I would tell you that yes it is hard but not impossible and the averages tend to be low because (like someone mentioned before) grades are not that important if you are not applying to a competitive program after (doing a Master in Engineering requires 3.00 GPA almost everywhere) and to be in ''good standing'' you need a 2.00 GPA. So of course if you feel that you can put a lot of effort in it, being in the top of your class will be a plus.

Archived