Premed 101 Forums

Can something be done now?

IronLung

Hey everyone,

Here's my story: I have a tumultuous relationship with my parents. If I'm not fighting with them, I'm ignoring them. I lived at home and went to University in the same city, but transferred to a school an hour away to get away from my parents. However, this wasn't a far enough separation to keep the domestic problems away. As a result, I found it very difficult to focus in university, and wasn't able to pull off very high marks. I was always above class average, but I do believe I could have done much better and would have a much better chance at getting into a Canadian medical school if I didn't have my parents breathing down my neck. I finished my degree about a month ago and started thinking that I should have sought help from my universities.

I have heard of situations where people were able to appeal marks in certain courses after several years because they weren't familiar with the process (had a failed course removed from a transcript, or had the course mark changed to "complete"). However, I don't have BAD marks, but I do believe that my family situation placed immense psychological and emotional strain on me, preventing me from working as hard as I could.

By 4th year, I found a better way to shut out my parents, and was able to pull off straight As, but the marks from the three years prior are still there. I was thinking of going back to my universities and explaining what had happened to see if anything can be done (e.g. notations on transcripts, remove marks). What do you all think?

Bad marks are not the end of the world if you want to go into med. Especially if its in your first year since a lot of schools look at best 2 or last 2.

Work hard in the years you have left at school and put the other stuff behind you. No use crying over spilt milk.

Archived