Premed 101 Forums

BC Student loans and spouses?

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with a working spouse and applying for student loans? From what I have read, it pretty much discounts you from receiving any government aid. However, we will be living in different cities, so our expenses will be almost doubled. Any advice on if I should even bother with the application, or focus solely on a LOC?

Thanks!!!

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with a working spouse and applying for student loans? From what I have read, it pretty much discounts you from receiving any government aid. However, we will be living in different cities, so our expenses will be almost doubled. Any advice on if I should even bother with the application, or focus solely on a LOC?

Thanks!!!

isn't the stipulation that you are living together? unless you are legally married... in which case i'm not sure what you should do.

i applied for student loans in my undergrad with a working spouse and still got money. from what i understand a lot of it comes down to your assessed need... if you are attending medical school and not working then your assessed need will be quite high (too high for full coverage which will leave you with an unmet need). even if your spouse contributed 5 or 10k your unmet need would still cover that so you should qualify for something. at least that's my take on it.

Legally married.

I was fortunate to be able to work enough throughout my degrees that I never had to take loans so this is all new to me. I guess I just apply and see what they have to say. Thanks for the input!

Archived