Premed 101 Forums

physics section

kingston

I have never taken physics in high school ( yeah I know, bad decision), now that I'm in university I have the choice of taking beginners physics ( which from what I hear is like grade 12 physics). For those familiar with the MCAT, is grade 12 physics enough or is 1st year university physics required for the MCAT. Btw I go to York University.

That physics course you're talking about sounds good.

Any physics course(s) covering: Units and kinematics, newtonian mechanics, Work, energy, momentum, thermodynamics, fluids and solids, electrostatics, magnetism, DC and AC circuits, periodic motion, waves, sound, light optics, atomic phenomena, nuclear phenomena.

**This list was taken directly from Kaplans MCAT premier book under Physics.

So would taking a course like The magic of physics or Physics of everyday life at U of T, be any what useful for someone that has no knowledge of physics?

If you're taking physics for the fun of it, sure, why not?

But if you're taking it as a prep for the MCAT, then....

NO NO NO! The magic of physics and physics for everyday life is intended as breadth requirement for the category "Physical and mathematical sciences" for students in the humanities/social sciences!

I suggest you take PHY131 and PHY132. They're not as bad as everyone says they are. Just keep up with the readings and do ALLLLLL the practice problems along with mastering physics. They go quite fast as they have to cover all the mentioned topics in one year as an introduction. It's not calculus based(there may be a bit of concepts you need to know involving integration but they will not give you actual problems dealing with solving an integral).

from my experience, grade 12 physics is harder and more encompassing than alot of first year physics courses. in fact, any first year "intro to physics" course will be more similar to grade 11 physics than grade 12. if you really want a course that will prep you for the mcat you should be taking the hardest, or one of the hardest, first year physics course at your school.

I have never taken physics in my life. I was going to graduate university and then take grade 11 and grade 12 physics courses offered here in Toronto. So first year physics is out of the questions. Also i do have grade 12 calc, but i don't think, even when they said it is a pre req, that it would be helpful without grade 11 or 12. That is why i was thinking about those courses, as a somewhat introduction to physics, but i guess i am wrong.

I have never taken physics in my life. I was going to graduate university and then take grade 11 and grade 12 physics courses offered here in Toronto. So first year physics is out of the questions. Also i do have grade 12 calc, but i don't think, even when they said it is a pre req, that it would be helpful without grade 11 or 12. That is why i was thinking about those courses, as a somewhat introduction to physics, but i guess i am wrong.

No no, the PHY131 and 132 are like intro courses meaning they teach you the material like it's brand new. Of course it would really help if you knew the material from before but that applies to every subject.

If you're afraid the material will be BRAND new and you wanna be at a slight advantage, i suggest you youtube some videos on physics and learn about the concepts just to get the jist of it. It's not really all that hard to get your head around. My favourite place to go when i needed clarification(and still today for linear algebra nd stats) is KHAN ACADEMY(You can just google it). Scroll down till you see physics and watch the videos. They're only 10 minutes each so you won't get bored and is, in my opinion, a much better way of learning the concepts because the instructor is just a fantastic teacher.

Physics isn't really all that worked up to be. If you understand the concepts taught in class, do the homework problems, and keep up with the readings/classes (As with every other course) then you will do fine.

That physics course you're talking about sounds good.

Any physics course(s) covering: Units and kinematics, newtonian mechanics, Work, energy, momentum, thermodynamics, fluids and solids, electrostatics, magnetism, DC and AC circuits, periodic motion, waves, sound, light optics, atomic phenomena, nuclear phenomena.

**This list was taken directly from Kaplans MCAT premier book under Physics.

thank you for the replys. Anyone know of any good physic books to help me prepare for beginners physics ?

I have never taken physics in high school ( yeah I know, bad decision), now that I'm in university I have the choice of taking beginners physics ( which from what I hear is like grade 12 physics). For those familiar with the MCAT, is grade 12 physics enough or is 1st year university physics required for the MCAT. Btw I go to York University.

Mind i ask what program you're in?

Btw, how's your math? You're going to need it.

from my experience, grade 12 physics is harder and more encompassing than alot of first year physics courses. in fact, any first year "intro to physics" course will be more similar to grade 11 physics than grade 12. if you really want a course that will prep you for the mcat you should be taking the hardest, or one of the hardest, first year physics course at your school.

You've never taken physics I and II for physical sciences/engineering at uOttawa... pure hell.

• 2 weeks later...

okay guys so my enrollment is coming up soon and I'm still debating about which Physics I should take that would best prepare me for the MCAT. These are the choices:

1)An introductory course for students lacking adequate preparation for SC/PHYS 1010 6.00, SC/PHYS 1410 6.00, or SC/PHYS 1420 6.00. Topics include dynamics (forces and motion, including oscillatory motion), energy and momentum, gravitational, electric and magnetic fields, the wave nature of light, and geometric optics. No calculus is used, but vectors are used extensively. Three lecture hours and one laboratory hour per week. One term. Prerequisite: Ontario Grade 11 Functions and Relations (new curriculum) or Ontario Grade 12 Advanced Mathematics (old curriculum). Note: May not be taken by any student who has taken or is currently taking another University course in physics.

2) Topics include linear, rotational and oscillatory motion; Newtonian mechanics; gravitation; electrostatics; magnetostatics; electric current and induction; heat; geometrical and physical optics and sound. Differential and integral calculus and vector algebra are used. This course covers fewer topics than SC/PHYS 1410 6.00, but covers them in greater depth. It should be taken by all those likely to enrol in 2000-level physics courses. Includes three hour laboratory component normally in alternating weeks. Prerequisite: OAC Physics or 12U Physics or SC/PHYS 1510 4.00.

3)A survey of physics. Topics include kinematics, dynamics, momentum and energy for linear and rotational motion; elementary kinetic theory and thermodynamics; static and current electricity; waves and physical and geometrical optics; elements of modern physics. This is a calculus-based course recommended for students unlikely to take 2000-level Physics courses. It includes a three hour laboratory component, normally in alternating weeks. Prerequisites: 12U Physics or OAC Physics or SC/PHYS 1510 4.00; MHF4U Advanced Functions and MCV4U Calculus and Vectors, or 12U Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus, or OAC Algebra and OAC Calculus, or SC/MATH 1505 6.00, or SC/MATH 1520 3.00. Course credit exclusions: SC/PHYS 1010 6.00, SC/PHYS 1420 6.00

4) A survey of physics in which many fundamental concepts are emphasized through applications to the life sciences. Topics include kinematics, dynamics, momentum and energy for linear and rotational motion; elementary kinetic theory and thermodynamics; static and current electricity; waves and physical and geometrical optics; elements of modern physics. This is a calculus-based course recommended for students unlikely to take 2000-level Physics courses. It includes a three-hour laboratory component, normally in alternating weeks. Prerequisites: 12U Physics or OAC Physics or SC/PHYS 1510 4.00; MHF4U Advanced Functions and MCV4U Calculus and Vectors, or 12U Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus, or OAC Algebra and OAC Calculus, or SC/MATH 1505 6.00, or SC/MATH 1520 3.00. Course Credit Exclusions: SC/PHYS 1010 6.00, SC/PHYS 1410 6.00

Note that I have not ever taken physics before and as of right now my only choice is #1, but I've heard they allow some students to enroll in these courses even without having the prerequisites, something which I'm willing to do if necessary. If someone can just tell me which option above is sufficient enough for the MCAT as I dont really want to waste my time with something I dont need. Thank You

I think number one is the best way to go.

It Has all the mentioned sections on the MCAT. Plus, the other physics require SPH4U which you haven't done. There's no need for you to take more difficult physics courses. The physics on the mcat is very basic.

My only concern is: all of these topics in one semester? For an introductory course it's kind of ambitious lol

I'm in kinesiology @ York U. My math is good, any suggestions on a book that will help me prepare for physics?

Are you in the BA tract or the BSC tract? If BSC, I assume you took a 12U chem since you don't have the 12U physics?

As for book, I bought the ExamKrackers set off a member here and mainly did so because it was suggested the learning style for physics was really good. And it has been (I never took a physics either) so I recommend that.

Additionally, check out: http://www.khanacademy.org/#physics

thanks drkwhy for the input, yeah all the topics are all in one semester, dunno why lol.

Are you in the BA tract or the BSC tract? If BSC, I assume you took a 12U chem since you don't have the 12U physics?

As for book, I bought the ExamKrackers set off a member here and mainly did so because it was suggested the learning style for physics was really good. And it has been (I never took a physics either) so I recommend that.

Additionally, check out: http://www.khanacademy.org/#physics

I'm in Bsc, and yes I've taken 12U chem and first year CHEM in University, would that help me out?

I think that EK is a good summary if you've taken it...for some of the "newer" physics or if you're learning it for the first time, a good support textbook to buy would be a Giancolli's physics (albiet it's a bit old). EK does a very nice job of getting the main concepts across for many sections and good "tricks and trapfalls", but it assumes quite a bit of prior knowledge at times for the "harder" (electricity, magnetism, light) sections.

thanks drkwhy for the input, yeah all the topics are all in one semester, dunno why lol.

I'm in Bsc, and yes I've taken 12U chem and first year CHEM in University, would that help me out?

Not for physics lol

I was just curious is all because I the pre req for BSC is 12U math and a 12U physics or 12U chem.

Check out the link I posted above though if you want some video to watch in addition to your book studies. Khanacademy is amazing.

Archived