Premed 101 Forums

*Contents of Biological Sciences

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***9/19/2000 6:56 pm*PST

I heard from people that zoology doesn't offer much physiology in its course so Iam going to take physiology class over a genetics class. I was wondering to what level of genetics is on the MCAT? I have heard you say that most of the stuff you learn in genetics is useless on the mcat, I was wondering if the genetics is mostly stuff you learn in a good principles of biology book you think, or is it more acvanced then that, Such as maybe a upper division intro to genetics class? I would just like to know so I have an idea of how much time I would have to allow extra in the summer for this section when I take the test because I WILL have a general bio,zoology,botany background, but that would be all I have for a genetics background. Also I have heard hormones is a biggie on MCAT. What are the main topics in physiology usually covered on the MCAT(or is it just about everything?) and what is covered more, physiology or genetics as far as amount of questions?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo, UG3

Date:***9/19/2000 7:42 pm*PST

I think it varies from test to test. Hormones is usually on the MCAT... basically they present you a passage and questions are of the type "If this hormone isn't released what will happen?" type thing. Genetics is really basic, just know how to determine genotypes from a family tree diagram, hardy-weinberg (I don't know why people make such a big fuss over this... it's a very simple expression that is very easy to prove) and other population stuff. Physio is very basic stuff... stuff I learned in grade 12 biology... In fact, I think biochem is actually mroe important to take than physio.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/20/2000 10:16 am*PST

I've got pretty much the same input as moo. Physiology is, to me, more useful than genetics for the MCAT. The genetics is presented at a level that you can probably learn by yourself. Most likely, it will be genotypes/phenotypes, recessive vs dominant genes, Punnett square probabilities, or Hardy-Weinberg. It will also likely be stuff like mitosis/meiosis or cell biology topics like functions and uses of microtubules/Golgi/ER/ribosomes, etc, or what would happen if they didn't work properly. This is information that would probably be covered in a Biochem course, or a Molecular Biology/Cell Bio class, but might also come up in Genetics.

Physiology will give you a better understanding of the human body, and will probably help your critical thinking ability, as it's quite difficult to learn just via memorization. Most likely, you'll have to sit down, and draw everything out in a flow chart, and ask yourself, what would happen down here if I were to modify something up above? This is quite typical of MCAT questions. They go one step beyond: "How does this work?" to "What would things look like if this part DIDN'T work?"

Ian,

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/23/2000 2:28 pm*PST

When I was talking about applying after the 2nd year I thought that was on the agreement that I wouldn't even be allowed into medical school until I finish 3 years like you did and got accepted, or do they tell you after you get unofficially accepted whether you need more school or not before you can enter medical school? For example when you apply your junior year aren't you being accepted on the condition that you finish 4 years? or is this just what the medical school decided on your application as a requirement for you to do before you enter the school? So if I apply my sophomore year in the summer can I get accepted on conditions of finishing 3 years of school?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/26/2000 5:25 pm*PST

Hi Paul,

Your last reply didn't really fit into that thread, so I thought I'd just start a new one. Apologies for not getting back to you earlier; it's been a really hectic couple of weeks here in school. I just got back from a few hours in the Anatomy Lab. It's pretty daunting as I'm completely lost trying to find and trace all the little nerves, blood vessels, tendons, and other things that we need to know. Anyways, on to your message:

Paul wrote:

When I was talking about applying after the 2nd year I thought that was on the agreement that I wouldn't even be allowed into medical school until I finish 3 years like you did and got accepted, or do they tell you after you get unofficially accepted whether you need more school or not before you can enter medical school? For example when you apply your junior year aren't you being accepted on the condition that you finish 4 years? or is this just what the medical school decided on your application as a requirement for you to do before you enter the school? So if I apply my sophomore year in the summer can I get accepted on conditions of finishing 3 years of school?

Most medical schools won't accept you unless you are going to attend the following year. The one exception is that you may be able to get a deferment, which is an agreement that you won't attend the following year like normal, but rather that you'll wait a year, and then enter. You're basically holding a seat for a year. This might be done for reasons such as pregnancy, or family problems/illnesses. Some schools are very flexible with deferments, and the reasons for getting them, while most Canadian schools are very picky about granting them.

As for getting into medical school, I got in after third year, and did not have to do my fourth year before entering UBC. When you apply, you must have fulfilled all the med school pre-requisite courses. Otherwise, they'll trash your application automatically. Therefore, if they accept you, you are under no obligation to finish off your undergrad degree. So yes, if you were lucky enough to be accepted after your sophomore year (2 years undergrad) you could start med school that September. However, it's very difficult, if not damn near impossible to get into med school after two years undergrad if you didn't sign up for the 6 year BSc/MD option right out of high school.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/26/2000 7:41 pm*PST

But if you apply during your sophomore year how can you get in that september like you said because don't they usually wait the following year after you apply? People that apply during their junior year can't get in I thought until after their senior year. Didn't you apply your sophomore year to get in after 3rd year? The Bsc/MD is probably a program that you have to go to the university that has a med school and qualify from the start right?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/26/2000 10:52 pm*PST

Oh, I understand now. I thought your question was whether you could get in with only two years of undergraduate. That is virtually impossible.

However, what I think you are asking, is: When do I need to send in my application forms if I want to get in after the third year of my undergrad degree. You are right. For Americans, you can apply as early as the June before you start third year. For instance, if you were going to start third year university in Sept 2001, you would have sent in your application probably in June 2001, assuming you had already written the MCAT. Then, you would be interviewing in Fall 2001 and the Spring of 2002 while finishing off third year. Should you receive an acceptance letter, you'd start med school in Aug/Sept 2002, after three years of undergrad.

And yes, those BSc/MD programs you have to start right out of high school. It's too late for you. You'll have to get in the old-fashioned way. :)

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/27/2000 7:44 pm*PST

So basically if I wait to take my Mcat until the august of my sophomore year I can't apply and get accepted to no medical schools to enter after 3rd year? I think there is some private universities or some that have later deadlines or are those not late enough to get the mcat results to the aamcs? or is the reason because you will have most spots for admission at med school taken so it will be even more competitive to get in at the end of the application deadline?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/27/2000 10:10 pm*PST

Yes you can. Let's say you are in your sophomore year right now: Sept 2000. Here's the timeline.

Aug. 2001 Write the MCAT

Sept. 2001 Start Junior year

Oct. 2001 Receive MCAT score, and apply to AMCAS

Nov. 2001

to

Spring 2002 Fill in secondaries, and interview at schools.

Apr. 2002 Finish Junior year final exams

If you receive an acceptance letter, you could start med school in Sept. 2002, after your Junior year without needing to do the Senior year.

However, in the above scenario, rolling admissions means that other people had already written the MCAT, and had their scores available, so they could have applied to AMCAS as early as June 2001. So, they could already have filled out secondaries, interviewed, and been accepted by Oct. 2001, which is just when you are finally receiving your MCAT scores! Therefore, writing the exam in August, as an American student, puts you at a disadvantage when applying that same year. Canadian students don't have this problem as we apply to med schools much later in the year, and the MCAT scores have time to reach us.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/29/2000 5:29 pm*PST

Its not worth the hassle then especially when its hard enough getting in after 3rd year along with the fact most seats are taken. Ill probably need the extra year anyways to get my head together on preparing to apply. I only want to have to take the MCAT once and I think my scores will suffer if I take it in april because all my prerequisite clases will be only halfway through ex. physics 2 organic 2 and a physiology course so I think I would do better if I just waited the summer out did my mcat and applied during my junior year.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/30/2000 3:12 pm*PST

Sounds good. Study hard for that MCAT; it's NOT an exam you want to repeat!

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived