Premed 101 Forums

*Has anyone received Aug 2000 scores?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***10/22/2000 8:12 pm*PST

I believe they are coming out this week of October 22 (at least that was what I was told by experienced MCAT test takers - 60 days after the actual test).

In the meantime, I'm stressed over midterms... why do they keep bombing us one right after the other? Haha...

Oh well :)

Cheers,

Simon

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***10/22/2000 11:41 pm*PST

My guess is that they will be coming out this week. If I hear anything about people in Vancouver getting them, I'll post it here. Trust me, they'll come soon enough... let the poor mailman do his/her job! Same goes for the rest of you all out there. When you get your scores, post it.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*beep

Date:***10/23/2000 4:32 pm*PST

cant prove this, so hope its true, but on another site(review.com) someone from northen alberta said they received their scores today....i'm still scoreless in montreal....achhhh

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Carse, UG4

Date:***10/24/2000 7:00 am*PST

For what it's worth, my results came in last night (Monday), and I'm all the way up north in Edmonton. So if you haven't got yours yet, they should be there today or the next.

Good Luck!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***10/24/2000 2:57 pm*PST

They're here (Tuesday noon), after 60+ days since writing the exam and having applied to various meds schools!! I live in Kingston, Ontario, so it shouldn't be too far off if you're living in Ontario.

I hope everyone received the scores they expected (or wanted) to get today. G'luck!

Simon

UG3

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/24/2000 11:52 pm*PST

MCAT's arrived in Victoria BC today. I haven't talked to anyone in Vancouver yet, but they probably arrived today as well.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Joe

Date:***10/27/2000 0:41 am*PST

Hello...

I was wondering how this will affect my admission chances. I scored okay in the biological, physical, and verbal (mid 30s, with no score below 10). However, my writing sample is only a P. I realize that P is above average, but some schools (like Western) have cutoffs last year at Q, etc. Considering most people get cutoff because of high verbal scores of 10, I feel kind of bad for scoring not as well in my writing sample. How will this "P" affect my chances at MCAT considering schools like UBC, Western, Queen's, etc? As well, does anyone know how UBC considers the cutoffs in terms of the writing sample?

Thanks for your thoughts

PS, is there someway I can get it remarked or something?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***10/27/2000 5:01 pm*PST

I've been told everytime that I've asked that as long as you reach the MCAT cutoffs, it really doesn't matter anymore (AT ALL). Western is the only Ontario school (I don't know about the other Canadian schools though) that even weighs your MCAT score in the application (counts for 1/3 of your total score). Western does require a Q though, so I don't know about your chances there... but you certainly don't have to worry about your chances at the other Ontario schools (U of T needs straight 8s and an N, and Queen's needs a 10 on VR, 30 total, and N, and Ottawa/Mac don't look at the MCAT), as long as you have the requisite GPA.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/27/2000 7:48 pm*PST

Heya,

A mid 30's score is pretty darn good. I can't comment on how the P would affect your Ontario school chances (thanks for fielding that one Jeff), but I can tell you that you are in the clear at UBC. Here, as long as you got an M or greater, and no more than one score of 7 ( with the other two scores greater than 7) you have passed the cut-offs.

At UBC, the MCAT counts for very little of your application. It's my opinion that as long as you have passed the cut-off, your MCAT score won't negatively affect your chances. Further, I think that unless your MCAT score is absolutely stellar (say 36+), it probably won't have much positive influence either. The US schools seem to emphasize the MCAT much more than the Canadian schools.

In the class of 2003, I've heard of MCAT scores ranging from 23M (the absolute bare minimum) to 38R.

Ian

Archived