Premed 101 Forums

MCAT advice

Guest joe

Hi there,

I just need some advice on whether i should retake the MCAT or not. I scored 12P, 13B, 9V and Q on writing. I'm very happy with the science marks and up until Western's standards changed this year, i was also satisfied with the Q. When i got these marks, I figured the only med school i couldn't get into in Ontario was Queen's. Now with the recent change to Western's cutoffs that's two med schools that i can't get into. My GPA is 3.72 over my first two years and after this year (3rd year) it should be somewhat higher (likely 3.87-3.88 for my best two years and about 3.76 or so cumulative). I am wondering whether i should just wait till next year and hope to get into U of T or if i should retake the MCAT and study for a 10+ in Verbal? By the way, i haven't heard anything back from U of T yet this year either but with a 3.72 GPA i dont think i have much chance of getting an interview this year.

Any opinions?

Thanks guys.

Joe,

I remember reading some harsh stats indicating that unless you scored pretty low (6's & 7's), rewriting the MCAT doesn't always boost your grades... I know someone who rewrote his MCAT to boost his writing mark to U of A's "O" requirement, and his science marks weren't as high as his first try (maybe he got cocky and studied less? i dunno..). So, I think rewriting can go either way. Nonetheless, I'm writing my MCAT this August and if things go shitty, I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and rewrite.

Surely with marks that high you'll get an interview somewhere...

Best of luck with whatever choice you make!

EB,

UG1, U of A

Guest anonymous

Don't rule out research work and grad studies. I only scored 10BS 11PS 10VR and Q, and my undergrad GPA was 3.74 (best two years!). My grad school marks are really good, and as a result I have gained interviews at U of T, Western and Queens. If you are only in 3rd year, and are planning a fourth, you may want to re-write to improve your writing and VR. The stats I've seen for the MCAT re-writes usually show a 1-2 point decline in the stronger areas (the standard deviations are pretty big though). If you re-wrote and still dropped one or two points in your BS and PS you'd still be ok at most schools.

Archived