Premed 101 Forums

MCAT

Guest BCgirl

Guest BCgirl

I'm writing the MCAT this summer. Is there a lot of genetics and biochem on the test? I'm not taking those until next year (I'm in my second year right now) so will MCAT prep books (like Kaplan science) be enough for me to learn the genetics and biochem that will be on the test?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have two questions regarding the MCAT that I can't find answers to on the 'net:

1) Is a formula sheet for the physics/physical chem sections provided? While thumbing through Kaplan books I picked up, I noticed quite a bit of material that was *NOT* covered by my profs at the U of A, so I'm hoping that a formula sheet is included in the exam to help jog my memory if it goes blank during the test.

2) Is this a right minus wrong exam? If so, this will twice as much torture as I'm anticipating... It's one thing to take a 1/5 gamble and guess on a question you're drawing a blank about, but it's absolute hell if you know there's a 4/5 chance you'll be docked a full mark.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd be very grateful. Actually, any and all advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

EB

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello,

With respect to formulae, although it is beneficial to know chemistry and physics formulae for the MCAT, do not be misled into thinking that the MCAT is simply a memorization-filled, regurgigatory-type exam. On the contrary, science questions, especially the passage-based type, lean heavily on the exam-taker's ability to apply concepts and understanding of material to resolve problems.

Practising MCAT exams is the best way to familiarize yourself with this form of testing.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived