Premed 101 Forums

Smartphone - necessary or not?

Although not necessary, it is nice to have. One of the best things I found with having a smart phone was the ability to sync my OPAL calendar onto it. I didn't have to constantly check my laptop to find out which courses were happening and where they were going to be.

Aside from that, Apps and other features are personal preferences, as well as how much you personally wish to pay per month. In my class there are a large number of people with Iphones, and there are a large number of people with Blackberries. Many people get by with a regular cell phone too. Its all up to your preferences!

I got by without a cell phone this year. It was annoying, but I never really needed it. Everyone's on their computers all day in class anyways so you can communicate using that, or even text people from email. But I'm just holding out for the unrealistic possibility that MTS will finally release a phone that I think is worth getting now that I've been waiting so long for one. I'm guessing it's probably not an option for you (On the plus side I've saved a lot of money this year). So between smartphone and not smartphone, I'd go with the smartphone. But that's 'cause I've gotten screwed paying $50/month for a normal phone when I could've had a smart phone for just $20 more.

Again, convenient perhaps. I do not understand how it could be necessary. Smart phones are pretty recent, within the past few years. There's no way you can tell me that before smart phones, medical schools did not exist.

If anything, I would buy an unlocked smart phone and use the wifi. Continuing to use my cheap plan.

Again, convenient perhaps. I do not understand how it could be necessary. Smart phones are pretty recent, within the past few years. There's no way you can tell me that before smart phones, medical schools did not exist.

If anything, I would buy an unlocked smart phone and use the wifi. Continuing to use my cheap plan.

Yes but laptops and the internet also did not exist before medical schools existed, yet schools distribute notes through those. As technology advances, some people just expect you to keep up. Maybe that's not the best way to do things but that's the way it is. Some attendings/residents may expect clerks to have smart phones, if not now then in the future.

Archived