Premed 101 Forums

8-year rule on basic science requirements and the non-trad pathway

Minowa

Hi,

I'm an older applicant who would like to apply to McGill. I'm a little confused by the 8-year rule on basic science requirements at McGill.

When you look at the basic science requirements website, they list a number of science courses that must have been completed, and then say:

• "where courses completed more than eight (8) years before the application deadline will not be considered; [...]"

This seems to imply that as I did my basic science requirements over 8 years ago, I have to do them all over again.

But when you look at the non-traditional pathway website, it says:

"Admission Requirements:

• must meet the basic science requirements but may be granted exemption from "refreshing" certain courses on the basis of relevant work experiences (evaluated by the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis)"

If McGill is granting an exemption from refreshing certain courses, this means that the 8-year rule is not necessarily apply all the time? I can understand the reasoning behind the 8-year rule: to make sure that future students still have a solid base in sciences before starting their studies. But does anyone know if admissions accepts other ways of proving this that are not work-related? By having a good score on the MCAT, for example, in order to prove that your science knowledge is still good? (I know McGill does not consider MCATs anymore).

If the 8-year rule does still apply in all cases, this means the non-trad candidate will have to do their basic science reqs anyways. Is there an advantage then to going through the non-trad pathway v. university route? The only one I can see is if the candidate did their university studies part-time. Otherwise, the requirements seem the same.

Hey,

I am not exactly sure how it works in Med at McGill but the "8 year rule" is also in effect for Dent at McGill. When I applied this year to Dentistry I just went to the admissions office, explained that I had done the courses about a decade ago and let them know what I was doing since (which was science based). They immediately said don't worry about it and apply. The impression that I had was that they don't want to impede potential qualified students from applying. I would imagine that it is similar in Meds.

AFAIK the benefit of the non-trad pathway is the applicant pool is proportionally smaller and the considerations they make for acceptance will be based more on the persons experiences that show their potential for medicine and less on their undergraduate grades (I am sure this will still be important)

Anyways, go and see them in person and talk with their admissions people they will be able to help... I imagine that it will not be a problem.

Doesn't McGill put set limits on how many years your degree lasted and all? Then some people would have no choice to go the non-trad route. As for the 8 year rule, UdeM has the same rule. This year I had to redo my chem & bio courses because my cegep is 10 years old. But when I met with the admissions people, I managed to get them to accept my math and physics as having been "maintained" during my following 8 years in computer engineering & comp science. I assume they mean something similar when talking about exemptions based on life experiences.

Hey,

I am not exactly sure how it works in Med at McGill but the "8 year rule" is also in effect for Dent at McGill. When I applied this year to Dentistry I just went to the admissions office, explained that I had done the courses about a decade ago and let them know what I was doing since (which was science based). They immediately said don't worry about it and apply. The impression that I had was that they don't want to impede potential qualified students from applying. I would imagine that it is similar in Meds.

AFAIK the benefit of the non-trad pathway is the applicant pool is proportionally smaller and the considerations they make for acceptance will be based more on the persons experiences that show their potential for medicine and less on their undergraduate grades (I am sure this will still be important)

Anyways, go and see them in person and talk with their admissions people they will be able to help... I imagine that it will not be a problem.

+1

Best thing to do is really go talk with them. Bring all your transcripts and ask them which courses you need to do to be eligible. They apply the rule on a case by case basis, so I would be surprised if you need to redo everything.

Thanks everyone! I did as you suggested. They were very helpful. Unfortunately, in my case, it looks like I will have to re-do all of my pre-req courses, despite having done a life sciences B.Sc., as I did my pre-reqs over 8 years ago. It's disappointing, but I'm glad to get the info now.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone! I did as you suggested. They were very helpful. Unfortunately, in my case, it looks like I will have to re-do all of my pre-req courses, despite having done a life sciences B.Sc., as I did my pre-reqs over 8 years ago. It's disappointing, but I'm glad to get the info now.

I did my cegep health science courses 10-11 years ago..received an interview at McGill dent. I also just finished my masters degree in dental sciences at mcgill but nobody ever mentioned the 8 year rule to me as far as cegep grades go. I guess medicine is more strict if they told you the courses must be re-taken in full

I did my cegep health science courses 10-11 years ago..received an interview at McGill dent. I also just finished my masters degree in dental sciences at mcgill but nobody ever mentioned the 8 year rule to me as far as cegep grades go. I guess medicine is more strict if they told you the courses must be re-taken in full

Maybe it doesn't apply to dent? Montreal has the 8 year rule too for med, but not say for pharm. I don't know about dent.

Maybe it doesn't apply to dent? Montreal has the 8 year rule too for med, but not say for pharm. I don't know about dent.

Also I interviewed at UofLaval dentistry..just in case anyone was wondering. I did my BSc in molecular bio..MSc in dental sciences..I don't think the cegep pre-reqs are a problem. However those applying to Med may face a diff situation..personally im surprised they are making you re-do them. Sucks..

Also I interviewed at UofLaval dentistry..just in case anyone was wondering. I did my BSc in molecular bio..MSc in dental sciences..I don't think the cegep pre-reqs are a problem. However those applying to Med may face a diff situation..personally im surprised they are making you re-do them. Sucks..

Yeah sucks... I had to redo my bio & chem. Managed to get a pass on physics and math because I was studying comp eng and comp science.

Archived