Premed 101 Forums

First TPR Practice

Guest V

Guest Ian Wong

<shrug>

Isn't that indicated somewhere in the marking guide? I assume that if you've managed to mark it, then there should be an accompanying score sheet to tell you approximately how well you did on it.

If not, you've got to remember that both the actual MCAT, and the TPR exam that you wrote, whichever one that is, examined you on only a tiny fraction of the amount of stuff you could potentially be tested on.

Therefore, by random chance, it's entirely possible that you'll get either a very good score, or a very bad score, simply by getting tested on subjects areas that you know less well. For that reason, a score from a single diagnostic exam really isn't that useful.

By writing several practice exams, you'll get a feel of the breadth of the subject areas you are supposed to know, and will have a better idea of which subject areas you are weakest in. This will be augmented especially if you get the AAMC practice MCAT's, which will be the most representative of what you are likely to be tested on.

Use these exams as a way to identify subject areas that you are weak in, and then study those areas harder. If you use these test scores as a way of "predicting" how well you will do in the actual MCAT, I don't think that kind of direct comparison is really valid, especially after only your first diagnostic test.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

I was asking in light of the fact that people (supposedly) do rather poorly on the first test, and then typically improve as they study/practice more... I just wanted to get some sort of idea, even though it might be imprecise, as to where I stood at this point compared to someone else who has taken the Princeton Review course before and ended up with a decent score (I'm aiming for over 30 with a 10 VR). Anyway, I did end up finding some posts on the PR message board, and it seems like many people get from 15-25 on this test, so I'm not in bad shape.

Archived