Premed 101 Forums

USMLE = exempt from taking LMCC for canadian residency?

I have received recent information from someone from my school (EVMS) saying that a Canadian citizen studying at a US med school can use the USMLE steps 1-3 as the equivalent of the LMCC (and so doesn't need to take MCCQE Parts 1 or 2) if he/she matches to a Canadian residency program. Does anybody know if it's true?

I have received recent information from someone from my school (EVMS) saying that a Canadian citizen studying at a US med school can use the USMLE steps 1-3 as the equivalent of the LMCC (and so doesn't need to take MCCQE Parts 1 or 2) if he/she matches to a Canadian residency program. Does anybody know if it's true?

Between December 2008 to February 2010, yes. Unfortunately, as of right NOW, no. Have to take MCCQEs to get full licensure (unless you are ok to a 12-18 supervision...)

Unfortunately, not true anymore.

Short answer is you don't need MCCQE 1/2 to do residency in Canada but you do need both MCCQEs in order to get an independent license after residency in Canada.

You don't need to do Step 3 to get into a Canadian residency. Step 3 is (normally) in your internship during residency in the US.

And I do believe you have to take the LMCC as well IF you match to a Canadian residency program. I think the LMCC is waived if you are trying to return from doing a US residency provided you've done Step 1-3.

The MCCQUE parts 1 and 2 - these are required in most provinces in the country - I'm not sure about Ontario but the above posts seems to indicate that even Ontario is on board. But you wouldn't write these before residency application.

Archived