Premed 101 Forums

Course includes AAMC Tests?

Guest bradfullmer44

Guest bradfullmer44

I'm thinking of writing the MCAT next year, and I'm considering taking a course, e.g. Princeton or Kaplan. Do the study materials that you get with these courses include the AAMC tests?

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi bradfullmer44,

Yes, both Kaplan and Princeton Review include past AAMC tests in their exam batteries. If I remember correctly, Kaplan used the AAMC tests 1-3 (and perhaps 4) during their mock exams. I'm not sure about Kaplan this year, but Princeton are running AAMC test 5 as one of their mocks.

A caveat: AAMC tests 1-3 are not considered to be representative of the more contemporary AAMC MCATs. For example, in recent administrations, it has been pretty much universally agreed that the Verbal Reasoning sections are increasing in difficulty compared to past iterations of the exam.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest bradfullmer44

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for the reply.

Given what you said about Tests I-III being less representative of the current MCAT format, do you think it is still worthwhile to obtain them? The VR has increased in difficulty, but have the PS and BS sections changed much?

Thanks.

Guest Akane200

It's just the impression/opinion that I to III are not representative. I really disagree with this. I wrote the MCAT with only I to III (couldn't get a copy of IV) and I felt that those materials were far superior to the countless review books out there.

Are they representative? I would have to say yes. It gives you a good feel for what the MCAT is like. Should you buy these? Yes, even if just for the extra practice, but do it under exam like conditions (on your own).

Obviously, you should get IV an V also, but I, II, III are worth getting as well.

Guest Katie

I think Kaplan has changed their mock exams because now all mock exams are made by Kaplan. AAMC Tests 1 through 5 are available at the Kaplan library for self study. Princeton offers AAMC Tests 4 and 5 as their final two mock exams. The benefit of taking Princeton is that you actually get to take those AAMC Tests home with you!!

If you're the type of person who hates studying in a library (like me), the Princeton Review might be better for you because, as I said, you will own copies of these tests. (And won't have to spend $300 buying them after you realize you've picked the wrong review company!)

Guest Kirsteen

Further to Akane's post...

I agree completely that AAMC tests I-III are valuable. The MCAT science sections have not undergone too much of an evolution between recent administrations of the exam and those in the near past. After all, how much variation is there in electron flow in a galvanic cell or the steps in meiosis--hopefully none! Due to this, acquiring copies would be valuable for science passage practice. It would also be valuable to use test I-III for VR practice in that these exams provide a good ground to hone your verbal skills, e.g., speed reading, passage mapping, etc..

It seems to be the general consensus that the Verbal section has become increasingly challenging over the past few years. For example, Kaplan tend to post a small post-exam review, as perceived and submitted by their student writers. The review from the August 2000 administration reported that the PS and BS sections were fairly straightforward, but that the VR section was perceived as being more difficult compared to the materials provided by the AAMC (tests I-III). Interestingly though, the most recent Kaplan exam review of the April 2001 exam reported nothing too scary on the VR side, but a BS section that was a little more calculation-intensive, and thus, a little more challenging. (As an aside, if anyone wrote the April 2001 MCAT, it would be great if you could post your perceptions of your Verbal Reasoning section.)

With respect to VR more specifically, not only are the passages tending to be longer, but so are the questions. Furthermore, the ratio of simple retrieval questions to the typically more challenging logic/inference types seems to be progressively skewing more towards the latter. Lastly, I've heard that the AAMC is focusing on increasing the difficulty of VR in order to generate a wider distribution of marks. I'm no statistician, but it's supposed to help separate the "true" 10s from 9s, etc. Supposedly, this movement has been stimulated by the medical schools' particular interest in VR scores as a basis for separating what they deem, the wheat from the chaff.

Overall, no matter how you go about it, it's important to perfect your VR skills so that you do well on the VR section. You can use many different approaches, including courses, past exams, reading more advanced periodicals... However, it may be useful to avoid any unpleasant surprises by letting your eyeballs run over more recent administrations of the exam, so at least you have a more full and contemporary idea of what lies ahead.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest JSS02

I'm taking the Princeton Review course right now. It includes AAMC IV and V as our final 2 diagnostics... but we don't do AAMC I, II, or III.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey JSS02,

Me too. You wouldn't happen to be in one of the Toronto classes would you? How is your class finding the In-Class Compendium passages? After class this eve, it seems that we're all generally finding them pretty tough. Thank goodness for the great teaching staff to give some shots in the arm!

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest JSS02

Hi, I'm attending the Princeton Review course at Erindale College in Mississauga. The difficulty of the In-Class Compendium seems to be pretty variable. There are definitely some tough passages (mostly in verbal, it seems), but also some that the class can just breeze thorough. The key thing, though, is that we're all prepared on August 18th :)

Good luck,

Archived