Premed 101 Forums

Note taking?

Pagan

I'm studying bio off of EK but I have a hard time learning stuff when I read it off a computer screen. I started hand writing notes and while it is helpful it is a slow and painful process. I'm starting to wonder if this is way too inefficient. A lot of the physiology stuff wasn't covered in first year bio so its quite new to me and I always have the feeling that it is not 'sinking' in unless I write it down.

Does anyone else take handwritten notes?

Yes, sometimes 2-3 times even. Only if i have time though. Seems so inefficient at the time but a surefire way of making sure you're actively studying is to read a paragraph or a page and then write down in your own words what you learned while refraining from looking back at the screen. Draw diagrams(no matter how bad they look), label, and whatever you need to for the concepts to come out on paper. This ensures you truly understood the material the first time you read it. Now of course you'll forget it if you don't review it frequently but at least now you have something on paper!

Hope this helped.

No. Personally, I just dive into practice questions and don't do any note taking after I'm done reading the notes. I do the practice questions I get wrong over and over again separated by a few days or so so that I know what the right answer is and why, and why the other answers are wrong.

Archived