Premed 101 Forums

Aug MCAT

Guest kel

I will be writing the MCAT in THREE weeks. I have been studying for 2 months now, but I can't seem to improve my scores on mock exams (VR 7, PS 8, BS 8 consistently). I honestly don't feel prepared and I feel that I will have to retake the MCAT a second time. Here are my questions...Will a bad score 'hurt' me even if I do better the 2nd time? Should I even write the MCAT in August? Or should I just write the MCAT in August as a "trial"? When I apply to schools, are all my MCAT scores listed (Aug 2001, April 2002, etc...)? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really freaking out...

Guest JSS02

I don't think there's any school in Canada that cares ifyou've taken the MCAT multiple times... they just take your most recent score (or in some cases, the best... check with the ones you're interested in). Also, you don't have to release your scores at all. I don't think you should skip the MCAT in 3 weeks, even if you don't feel ready. You can just not release your scores on test day, and then decide whether you want to do it once you receive your scores from the AAMC in late October. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised. =) Or, at least you've gotten some good practice for the April 2002 exam. Good luck.

Guest Katie

Does it matter if kel releases his scores or not? Even if he doesn't release his scores after the August MCAT, if he decides to take the April MCAT and release those scores all his scores (April and August) will show up on the report, right?

Guest JSS02

Nope, I don't believe so. If he doesn't release his August scores and just retakes the test in April (but releases those), med schools will see his April scores and just the fact that he did the August test but chose not to disclose the results.

Guest msax35

I did just what you are talking about in Apr 2000. I was preparing on my own for the April MCAT, but was in last trimester of a complicated pregnancy and had to lower my work/stress level alot (ie. stopped prep). I debated whether to write or not b/c didn't really feel ready (no science background, just my own prep...several people advised me not to use it as a trial writing). I decided to write it anyway, and I have no regrets. I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but better than I thought I would given the circumstances (37 weeks pregnant). I am rewriting in April 2002 and have a much higher comfort level now that I've been through the "real thing" once already. I've been assured that Dal, at least, will only look at the scores I choose to have them consider...

Good luck!

Archived