Premed 101 Forums

Which cegep for my situation?

Hi,

Currently I got accepted into Dawson and Vanier for both commerce. Now all I have to do is choose which college I want to go in, but thing is I really wanted to go to "health science". I have all the requirements just that there were too many applications for health and my marks were lower than others. My mark in chemistry and physics secondary 5 when I applied combined was 79 and science math was 73. I just was wondering if switching programs for winter 2011 would be easier in Dawson or Vanier? If it is the same, then just tell me why should I choose Dawson or Vanier? Also if I want to apply for medicine in McGill, would they reject me due to the fact I switched from commerce to health science? Though I am going to finish health by catching up in the summer which will be done in two years like others who were in science from the start.

Thanks for answering all my questions :)

Check directly with McGill if you would qualify for acceptance under the circumstances you describe as it may not be that simple. Also, be prepared for there not being space for a switcheroo.

Thanks I will call them and ask. But have you ever gone to either Dawson or Vanier, if you did which one did you like (if I do change for science)? I think I should change the main question...

I didn't know it was possible not to be accepted into health sciences with any high school diploma? At least when I was in cegep the pre-university programs were not limited :/

I went to French cegep, but have friends who went to both those schools and they both enjoyed it.

I didn't know it was possible not to be accepted into health sciences with any high school diploma? At least when I was in cegep the pre-university programs were not limited :/

I went to French cegep, but have friends who went to both those schools and they both enjoyed it.

Well right now I am in secondary five I need to still get my diploma for high school. thanks

If you switch you will not be eligible for McGill's MED-P program right after CEGEP. You can check this on Mcgills faculty of medicine website very easilly. You would have to complete a Bac. in university and apply afterward.

So, in other words, if you can't switch your program at the beginning of the semester then just do whatever you think you'll enjoy more (i.e. stay in commerce and finish in 2 years or switch and take another semester).

I'm very surprised that you were not accepted in Health Science. Even though 79% and 73% are not that high, I know a lot of people who were accepted with marks in the low 70s...

Did you apply to any other Cegeps?

Yeah well Dawson, Vanier and Marianopolis... I heard about that too but I am planning to take a exam during August in summer school to boost up my mark. I hope I could switch by doing that.

If you switch you will not be eligible for McGill's MED-P program right after CEGEP. You can check this on Mcgills faculty of medicine website very easilly. You would have to complete a Bac. in university and apply afterward.

So, in other words, if you can't switch your program at the beginning of the semester then just do whatever you think you'll enjoy more (i.e. stay in commerce and finish in 2 years or switch and take another semester).

Can I have the link to the site where you saw that on McGill? I can't find any information on it. So changing programs is pointless or even going to medicine? But I do know someone who did switch programs from commerce to pure and applied science and applied to computer science in McGill and got in though. Why did they get in and I cannot doing the same?

Can I have the link to the site where you saw that on McGill? I can't find any information on it. So changing programs is pointless or even going to medicine? But I do know someone who did switch programs from commerce to pure and applied science and applied to computer science in McGill and got in though. Why did they get in and I cannot doing the same?

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/cegep-quebec

Is it too late to apply to another CEGEP? Going to a French Cegep does not prevent you from being accepted at McGill.

The person you know, did he get into medicine or computer science after he switched program in Cegep? If he got into medicine, he probably applied after finishing his undergrad (which is something you could also do). If what you meant is that the person was accepted in computer science, it is simply due to the fact that requirements for computer science are not as hard and I believe that the time it took you to finish your Cegep studies does not matter.

However, you should call the other universities (Laval, Sherbrooke and Montreal) and ask them if you can still apply.

• 2 months later...

There is no problem for you to apply at mcgill med-p, by the time you do your CEGEP in 4 complete sessions with the same workload as any other student in health sc.

Be carefull if youve already done english/french/phys ed./philo or whatever, because you need the exact same number of hours per week as the others ;-)

Good luck!

I think McGill accepted those who switched programs last year, but now they changed their mind. McGill is purpously making it harder for cegep students, because they don't like them and find them unsuitable for medicine. They only admit them because the Quebec government forces them to do so. Also, McGill seems to have the most strict adcoms in the province, as strict as a computer.

Archived