Premed 101 Forums

* Writing Sample

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*EW

Date:***8/8/2000 5:39 pm*PST

hey ian, just wanna let you know that your site kicks ass. i'm writing the mcat next sat aug 19th and i have to agree with you that dr. brett ferdinand's gold standard text was awesome. which isn't to say that your advice didn't rock too.

anyways, here's hoping to be able to call you a colleague in a couple yrs. cheers!

EW

UG3 UofT

ps how do harsh do you think they mark the writing sample? i don't seem to have too much trouble with the VR,PS or BS but those essays!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/8/2000 11:46 pm*PST

Thanks! I still remember the day I wrote that accursed exam, and how much better everything was until about 50 days after, at which time I started compulsively checking the mailbox. :( It happens to all of us.

After you've written the MCAT and have some more free time, if you've got a few minutes, I (and others, I'm sure), would like to know how you found it, how you studied for it, and what you would do differently the next time.

As for the essays, I'd have to say they're a bit of a crap-shoot. I'm always a little nervous when there's not really a single correct answer to be found. The bottom line is that you absolutely must read and fully answer the question. That's key. As well, if you use good grammar, check your spelling, and provide concrete examples supporting your case, you'll do just fine. Remember to keep your handwriting and presentation as neat as time allows, since other people will be grading it.

Best of luck, and hang in there!

Ian, MS2

• 3 months later...
Guest Amber

Hello there,

I am just wondering when is the best time to take MCAT. I mean I still have another year of high school before I graduate. However, I have just completed OAC Biology, OAC Chemistry, and grade 12 Physics, so would it be worth taking it now? When do others normally take it? And, do all Canadian medical schools require MCAT?

By the way, this is a very neat and informative forum :)

Keep it up!

Take care.

Guest Ian Wong

No no no. The MCAT is an exam that usually isn't taken until the summer after second or third year university. You're several years too early to be worrying about the MCAT, and in fact, you won't have been taught a lot of the information being tested on it, such as Biochemistry or Organic Chemistry.

Don't worry about it yet, and just concentrate on doing well in school and studying something you enjoy.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Amber

Hi Ian,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate it :) I am glad I don't have to worry about it till later. No wonder some of the MCAT preparation material went right over my head... What a relief!

By the way, you seem really intelligent and I have another question which isn't relevant to MCAT per se but the heck... If one wants to go into medicine (become a pediatrician), which degree should one pursue? I mean, does one have to do MBBS, BSc, MB... etc?

Take care and keep smiling.

Guest Akane200

You should pursue a degree that you: (not mutually exclusive)

a)enjoy (probably the most important)

b)expect to do well in

c)will give you a back up in case you don't get in

There is no set "degree" type you should do to get into med school or certain specialties afterwards. Although (for example), if you did a masters in neurosciences, it may make a lot of sense for you to do a neuro specialty if you liked it (but it's not necessary at all).

If you like pediatrics, you should try to have more exposure to children through volunteering, etc.

Archived