Premed 101 Forums

ophthalmology

Hi, i'm a junior medical student and i was wondering if anyone had thoughts on ophthalmology as a speciality. I had the chance to shadow a surgeon recently and really loved it.

was it competitive this year? is it worth going for it without a backup? any thoughts would be helpful. thanks

i looked at the carms site stats and it seemed to complex for me to figure it out. also should i do some or a lot fo electives in it. also if i apply to family, won't they see that i am interested in ophtho? how do i justify applying to it?

i looked at the carms site stats and it seemed to complex for me to figure it out. also should i do some or a lot fo electives in it. also if i apply to family, won't they see that i am interested in ophtho? how do i justify applying to it?

Stats were too complex? You managed to get into med school and CARMS was too complex?

Easy. I like Optho and have made an effort to pursue that specialty but it's very competitive (obviously). I am also interested in ______ (insert back up here). I could really see myself being happy in this career and think it would be very rewarding.

Most programs know how CaRMS is played. They won't care (unless they are also a super competitive specialty).

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/7_Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Canadian%20Applicants_en.pdf

This says it all. Worst ratio of first choice applicants to spots of any specialty. 62 apply as a first choice discipline, 36 spots offered. 10 of those are French (3 in Laval, 2 in Sherbrooke, 5 in Montreal) so if you can't speak french extremely well, those spots are out.

And the applicants are mostly all super stars too. Hard workers, likable, well read, good research, good connections.

Stats were too complex? You managed to get into med school and CARMS was too complex?

lol. thanks. i didn't realize it was actually that hard.

this doesn't actually influence my decision, but does anyone know how much ophthalmologists actually make. like, has anyone actually talked to one?

Archived