Premed 101 Forums

Med school, residency and job in the same location?

Hello all,

I am wondering the what the odds are of going to medical school, doing residency, and getting a permanent job in the same general location? I am nervous about having to constantly move around given that my husbands career is firmly planted in 1 place. Ideally, I would like to specialize in medical oncology (I am only starting medical school this year). Does anyone know if it is possible to always stay in the same location throughout the entire process (not necessarily the same city, but the same drivable region). I cannot seem to find if this is common, unheard of, or absolutely unlikely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also if you haven't already you should sit down as a couple and plan how careers will be undertaken in your partnership. Are you going to take one career and give it lesser priority, or are you going to both grab every opportunity, even if it means periods (even years) of long distance.

If you check out the backgrounds of the staff working in a particular location, there always seems to be a good proportion of 'locals'. However, as stated above, your chances of emulating them would be better if you want to do something 1) uncompetitive and 2) with plentiful job opportunities in the region.

Also if you haven't already you should sit down as a couple and plan how careers will be undertaken in your partnership. Are you going to take one career and give it lesser priority, or are you going to both grab every opportunity, even if it means periods (even years) of long distance.

This. You should certainly start considering your options. From what I understand, it can be difficult to match to a specific location AND specialty, unless you are one of the best and/or you have the right connections. I know my husband and I are already considering what we will do if I don't eventually match in the same city where he is working.

Archived