Premed 101 Forums

Help~! What do I do now?

Hey guys, I am new to posting on the forums, but have read most of the stickies and lots of other threads. I seem to be in the same position as many other students, wondering if I should attempt a second degree, focus on masters, or just continue to apply to medical schools. Any advice is greatly appreciated :) Here are my stats:

Albertan Resident

BSc UofA

Year 1 - > 3.0

Year 2 -> 3.4

Year 3 -> 3.8

Year 4 -> 3.5

I have taken the MCAT once and scored a 27S (I did not properly prepare for the MCAT and am rewriting it Sept 2, and have taken the summer off to focus solely on getting a good MCAT score)

- I do have good volunteer and employment history, and am continually adding to this

I realize my cGPA is on the lower end, and that abroad may be the only chance for me to pursue my dreams of Med. My main question is what should I do this coming Sept, take a second degree, most likely in Kinesiology, focus on working and volunteer, or start planning for a backup career. I am 23 and have already taken 1 year off after my undergrad degree to work and get some more motivation to re-attempt this process. Thanks all~

What ParaD is essentially saying is that there is no easy choice. Unfortunately, there aren't tons of options available to you.

If you do considerably better on the MCAT, you may have a chance at McMaster and potentially some other schools. Doing a grad degree will help you at a few schools, but ultimately your undergrad GPA will hurt you.

The safest course I would think would be to do a complete second degree in two or three years. This time, aim for 3.8+ in every year.

In terms of developing a backup career, do a second degree in a program that you could work in. Also, as far as the health care profession is concerned, do you NEED to be a doctor? If I'm not mistaken, you would be competitive for many PT and OT programs across the country (and perhaps even McMaster's PA program). Food for thought.

Hey simpy,

On other post you were skeptical about doing a 2nd degree over a graduate degree it seems. In this case, why are you recommending a second degree?

If someone is absolutely set on medicine and doesn't want any other career, and they are motivated and capable enough to get 3.8+ GPAs, a second degree is sometimes the best (or only) option. Cdhollan's case is very borderline in my eyes - a master's or second undergrad would probably both work. It's just that a second undergrad could open up a few more options than a master's would.

It's so borderline though, if cdhollan's 4th year were a 3.7 instead of a 3.5, I would recommend a master's over a second undergrad. And there's risk involved, if cdhollan were to get a 3.5 in the last year of their second degree, it'll have been mostly wasted. So... it's a really tough call. I just meant that the "best" option for them would be to do a second degree with 3.8+ in all years of the degree... If they can't do that, then a master's - but with the low undergrad GPA, that's putting a lot of eggs into a few baskets (Calgary (realistically best chance), Toronto (with productive Master's and assuming wGPA formula kicks in), maybe Queen's and Mac (depending on MCAT), but that's it).

I see... Thanks for the reply. I was just curious because I am in a similar situation but with a very low undergrad GPA and have opted for a masters and get a cold feeling of panic inside when I think I may have made the wrong decision!!

Thanks to all that replied. In response to Para D, I have always had my eye on UofC, I always knew it would be the most realistic chance for me to get in, and my older sister is currently in the med program there. Simpy, you reccommended I work towards a 2nd undergrad degree, like you said there is risk involved in this, and that is my main concern, that I could waste another 2 years. I know my best chances are with UofC or abroad schools in Ireland or Austrailia, so i would like my next few years to be geared towards bettering my application for UofC. With that in mind, do you still feel that its in my best interest to pursue a 2nd degree? And finally my last question, if i do get an after-degree in Kinesiology, with my cGPA only be calculated from this degree? Or will they look at all 6 years of my undergrad schooling? Thanks again.

PS does anyone know if my GPA is competitive for going abroad? Obviously would like to stay in Canada but I am definitely open to this option.

If you pursue a second undergrad degree, that can also provide you with a back-up plan, should you not make it into medicine. That's why many people pursuing a second degree choose something that will provide them with an alternate career, should they not succeed in getting into medical school. So you will see people studying dietetics to become a registered dietitian, or kinesiology/human kinetics to become kinesiologists or athletic trainers, etc.

If you are confident that you can do well in a second degree (ie. GPA of 3.8+ for both years of a second degree) than that will most likely give you the best chance of success.

Thanks to all that replied. In response to Para D, I have always had my eye on UofC, I always knew it would be the most realistic chance for me to get in, and my older sister is currently in the med program there. Simpy, you reccommended I work towards a 2nd undergrad degree, like you said there is risk involved in this, and that is my main concern, that I could waste another 2 years. I know my best chances are with UofC or abroad schools in Ireland or Austrailia, so i would like my next few years to be geared towards bettering my application for UofC. With that in mind, do you still feel that its in my best interest to pursue a 2nd degree? And finally my last question, if i do get an after-degree in Kinesiology, with my cGPA only be calculated from this degree? Or will they look at all 6 years of my undergrad schooling? Thanks again.

PS does anyone know if my GPA is competitive for going abroad? Obviously would like to stay in Canada but I am definitely open to this option.

Your GPA is going to be quite competitive for going abroad. Your MCAT is a little low, but combined with your GPA I think you'd still probably be fairly competitive. Just think carefully about whether going overseas is the right option for you. It can be tough to secure a residency back in Canada (but if you don't mind going to the States, it's not as important of a consideration).

For getting into U of C ONLY, a master's might actually be a better option. They seem to like people with graduate degrees. Just be aware that your options are going to be fairly limited (this option puts more eggs into one basket).

Schools all consider a second degree differently. It gives you a fresh start at Western, McGill, and NOSM. If your GPA was high enough, it would open up Ottawa and Queen's as well; and your cGPA would improve enough to have a chance at places like U of A and McMaster.

Rerious - it may be that a second degree rather than a master's might have been the better option for you to enter medicine (I'm not sure of your particulars). That said, a master's is never wasted - it will add to your application at many schools, and once you get into medicine it can help you secure a residency later. So don't feel panicked - worse case scenario, you can still go back and do a second degree. Maybe not the ideal option, but it's probably going to help you in more ways than you're aware of now.

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know how UofC would view the 2nd degree? Would they just use the second degree to calcuate my cGPA or would they look at all 6 years. I am trying to focus on UofC because I am IP and believe my best shot would most likely be with them.

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know how UofC would view the 2nd degree? Would they just use the second degree to calcuate my cGPA or would they look at all 6 years. I am trying to focus on UofC because I am IP and believe my best shot would most likely be with them.

I believe they will look at all your full-time university studies. But the application booklet for this coming cycle will be out on July 1st, so until then, it's hard to say for sure what will happen this cycle.

Archived