Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Citizens Exempt From VISA/SEVIS

EDIT: I emailed the consulate people about the discrepancy between the sites listed below, and requirements listed elsewhere, and they of course didn't even consider the issue within my question (not surprised). They only said pay the SEVIS, and go the the boarder.

From http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=canadian

Visa Exemptions

Canadian citizens do not require visas to enter the U.S., except when coming as immigrants (permanent residents), or in the following non-immigrant categories: Diplomatic ("A" and "G" visas), Treaty Trader/ Treaty Investor ("E" visas), Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizens ("K1/K2" visas), or spouse of a U.S. citizen (K3/K4 visas).

Canadian citizens do not require visas to study in the United States. If you plan to study, you should go directly to the border or the airport with proof of Canadian citizenship, the I-20 form issued by the school which has accepted you for admission (or Form DS-2019 in the case of a person going as an exchange visitor), and evidence of means of support. The educational institution in the U.S. should be able to answer all questions related to entering the U.S. For further details, please contact the International Student Office of the school you wish to attend. As with all non-immigrant visitors to the United States, foreign students must be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) inspector at the time of entry that their stay in the United States is not permanent in nature, and that they intend to return to a residence outside of the United States upon completion of their education.

Canadian citizens who have been approved for temporary employment in the H, L, O, P, Q, or R nonimmigrant categories, should proceed to Customs and Border Protection at a port of entry with a Notice of Approval Form I-797.

So no SEVIS Fee needs to be paid...

Also see:

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/factsheet/090104_exmpt_fs.htm

Who is considered to be visa exempt?

Certain applicants who are citizens of Canada, Bermuda, Bahamian nationals or British subjects who reside in the Cayman Islands, or in the Turks and Caicos Islands do not need a visa to enter the United States. See CFR 212. 1. (A)

But IF YOU WANT F-1 Status:

Applicants who are visa exempt and who wish to apply for F-1, F-3, M-1, M-3, or J-1 status at a Port of Entry (POE) into the United States must pay the SEVIS fee before appearing at the POE. The fee must be paid to ensure that the payment can be deposited and recorded in SEVIS prior to arrival at the POE. The time frame to process the fee is three business days once the payment has been received. Add local mail processing times to gauge the length of time it will take to receive an I-797 paper receipt if you are mailing your payment.

A U.S. immigration official will inspect your papers either at a preinspection site in Canada or upon entry into the United States. You must have with your proof of citizenship, your admission letter to the university or program you plan to attend, your Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019), and proof of financial support that corresponds to the information on your Certificate of Eligibility. A receipt that confirms that the payment of the I-901 fee has been processed should also be hand carried with these other required documents.

I don't know what implications there are, to not have an official status (ie. F-1). But if Canadians are made exempt, then I shouldn't have to ever worry about it.

I believe it is a given that in order to enter the US for that length of time as a student, even from Canada, you will need SEVIS (I-94 and YES YOU NEED TO PAY and this is what you would do by taking the papers to the border crossing), and an F-1 visa. Although you'd hope the border would be open season for Canadians to cross into the US, there is still strict restrictions and you will need to register as an int'l student with SEVIS and cross as an F-1 rather than a visitor.

I should clarify: if you do any coursework in the US as a Canadian where you will gain US credits, you need a student visa (F-1) period.

Archived