Premed 101 Forums

for those accepted

Guest NurseNathalie

Guest NurseNathalie

Hi ..

if you are in Sudbury area, just wanted to let you know that (according to the Sudbury Police) the criminal checks take 2 weeks... they said sometimes the stuff comes back after 1 week but its best not to count on it just in case!

just a FYI.. I gather we need this document with our acceptance form... (did not get my package yet)

" it costs $17.15. Either bring exact change or use their debit machine. and you will need ONE form of ID that must contain your signature."

Nat

Guest waterbottle2

Is there a special form in the package for the police check? I won't be getting the package till Friday or Monday but if I don't need to get the package to get the police chack, I can apply for it right now. Can you let me know?

ttyl

Guest Icarus

I just wanted to say hello to all you accepted folks. I've also been accepted and I'm really looking forward to September. I'd love to get together and meet anyone else who'll be attending NOSM in the fall. So, if you're near the Sudbury area or you're visiting at any point (apartments hunting, etc.) and you want to meet and get acquainted let me know. It'd be great to meet as many of the class members as possible before September.

Guest waterbottle2

I will let you know when I am in Sudbury. I am taking some vacation before med school starts in September but will in all likelyhood will be around Sudbury in July and August. I was actually thinking of trying to get a bunch of NOMS students together for a weekend of camping near Sudbury. What do you think? I thought it would be fun and give us a chance to have some fun before classes start.

Cheers!

Guest 2Late2Learn

When I had to get one of these I just went to the police station and requested one. In the end, they provide you with their own official type of form stating (hopefully :lol ) that you do not have any past offenses.

Therefore, I wouldn't think that you need use a form from the med school. I don't think the police station would use it anyway.

Also, at least if you go in NOW (as opposed to waiting for your package) you can get the ball rolling. You always have the option of dropping off any med school forms to the police after you have initiated the search.

Just my thoughts on this situation.

Guest NurseNathalie

I totally agree with you 2Late2Learn ...

I tried posting all day yesterday, and it wouldnt let me.

I went to the police station and got it started. As you say, they do have their standard form... so, when you get the printout of your record (um.. blank peice of paper, I guess!) you would provide that with the package.

has anyone received their purolator package yet?? I dont know if we need to send the record check WITH the letter of acceptance.. or if we can submit it later.. i was told mine would be ready June 15th!

oh..by the way: it cost $11.41 .. the price for volunteers :)

I also strongly recommend you start on it.. Sudbury, it takes two weeks! (sometimes come in after one, but you cant bank on it!)

Guest 2Late2Learn

One more thing....

You might be interested in knowing that because I have previously lived in another province mine took even longer to obtain. Mine was almost a month (if memory serves correct) to obtain. (And yes, it came back clean!)

It takes them longer to search out of province so if you have lived in other places - get the search started.

Guest waterbottle2

Hello aggain,

Mine cost me 40$. It was the one for student placement one not the volunteer one. They said that med students and teachers need the placement one. Mine will also be ready on June 15th. Have you decided to go to NOMS or Mac?

ttyl

Guest NurseNathalie

wow.. i hope they didnt make me get the wrong thing!! I explained the situation very well.. and even signed under agency 'the northern ontario school of medicine'..

geez.. maybe i should give them a call..

i also signed a special section for a more indepth search and it had a special consent for those who would be in contact with 'vulnerable people'.

ok.now, im freaking! lol

no.. i havent yet been able to decide.. both are great.. one is in my backyard, and is an opportunity to take part in something new .. the other is my a chance to fulfill my lifelong dream.. AND I much prefer their program.. AND its three years instead of 4.. and its already established.. and and and..

i have no idea!!! i wish i had a chrystal ball!

Guest waterbottle2

I have friends in Mac med. I am actually at Mac right now. Just remember it is only three years but no summers off and no set spring break and stuff like that. The prgram at NOMS is very much like Mac except it will be new and spread over four years, I believe summers off too explore. Depends on the type of person you are. If you like doing things outdoors with the little amount of spare time you will have in med school Hamilton isn't the place for you but laurentian is! the students and facilities are great but it is much bigger than laurentian and of course you will be living in the Hammer! If you want to do a specialty like orthopedics or something like that later on, I would suggest mac. I you want family medicine,general surgey, I would suggest laurentian. I'm tossing up Ottawa and NOMS right now!

ttyl

Guest Icarus

Hi all.

With regards to the police check, I suggest using the form that comes with the package. The form is submitted to a separate organization (not NOSM) which provides ID's for students in teacher's college, med school, etc.

I imagine you may be able to submit the check you have done independently to this same organization but as far as I can tell from the package it won't save you time or money. I obtained a police check just two weeks ago for another reason and as far as I can tell I still need to submit this form to the OESC.

Hope this helps.

Guest zipzappy

Hiya,

I would like to apply to NOMS this coming fall.

Few questions. Waterbottle, you mentioned, "If you want family medicine,general surgey, I would suggest laurentian." I was under the impression that the program at NOSM specifically grooms students for rural family meds. What if I change my mind along the way and want to pursue general surgery, ER or peds? Will I be at a disadvantage while applying to residency programs at U/T, Mac or other academic/ urban schools?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zp

Guest waterbottle2

From what I understand, they are hoping to eventually have residencies in the general specialties like family med, general surgery, anesthesiology, radiology, stuff like that but I'm not sure. I will probably do family med so I'm not to worried about anyhting yet. If by going to NOMS I get interested in another field of medicine well, then I guess that's their fault for introducing it to me. Anyhow, if I had to leave to do residency, I would surely be back up North within a couple of years. It will be interesting to see if there will be enough residency positions through NOMEC for all NOMS students if we all decide to stay. Right now, I don't think there is 56 positions so some people will undoubtely get send elswhere. I may be wrong though.

ttyl

Guest Norseman

I've been ranked #7 on the NOSM waitlist. Anybody have some insight as to how deep other med. schools have gone on their waitlists.

Also is anybody here or knows of anybody that has been accepted to NOSM and is going elsewhere?

Guest waterbottle2

To all on this web who are wondering about residency positions in the future if they go to NOMS. Check out the NOMEC web-site. There will be residency programs through NOMEC in association with other universities like Ottawa and University of Toronto(Anesthesiology). Residency programs will include as planned: anesthesiology, internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics, general surgery, and psychiatry. Looks like residents will spend time at University of Ottawa and University of Toronto in their first residency year for some of these speciality programs but will be based primarily in the North for the rest of their 2, 3 or 4 years depending on the program of choice. Residents will focus on these specialities as they reflect the needs of communities in the North. Just a little info.... and it says, residents will be helped financially to re-locate from one place to another as program requirements demand. Hopefully this helps those people in limbo of choosing NOMS or those people who are going to apply to NOMS in September.

ttyl

Archived