Premed 101 Forums

Rainbows Banned

igeorgex

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/rainbows-too-politically-charged-for-catholic-schools/article2051764/

can anyone believe that load of horse****? I cannot believe I went to that high school. I don't understand why they would host an 'anti-homophobia day' but then tell the students they can't use rainbows in their banners OR donate the money they raised to an LGBT charity.

utterly ridiculous that the high school administration is basically bullying these kids who want to promote tolerance.

I went to a catholic high school - although I'm not a practicing catholic anymore, I remember we were much more accepting in the toronto catholic district school board (TCDSB) back in the day...a few open individuals as well in my graduating class. I'm actually quite surprised by the announcement; maybe it's just Peel...

Catholics don't agree with homosexual acts. Don't like it? Don't go to a catholic school.

sometimes it's not as simple as that, at least half of the people at my catholic high school were not catholic. off the top of my head, these are some reasons non-catholics attend catholic high schooL: if the school is the only one to fall within their home boundaries or offers courses/programs not available within a reasonable distance or if the public school alternative has a higher crime rate.

just because the school follows the catholic doctrine doesn't mean they have the right to discriminate against anyone based on sexual orientation.

sometimes it's not as simple as that, at least half of the people at my catholic high school were not catholic. off the top of my head, these are some reasons non-catholics attend catholic high schooL: if the school is the only one to fall within their home boundaries or offers courses/programs not available within a reasonable distance or if the public school alternative has a higher crime rate.

just because the school follows the catholic doctrine doesn't mean they have the right to discriminate against anyone based on sexual orientation.

In some extreme cases maybe the catholic school is the only school in the area but for the most part if there is a catholic school, you can go to a public school.

Also I don't see how not being able to wave a flag is equal to discrimination.

Didn't they participate in the anti-homophobia rally?

The only issue I might have in this case is that I believe these schools are publicly funded. Since the taxpayers support them, they should have a say in how they're run.

If you are getting public money like the Ontario Catholic School Boards, you have no right to impose your religious views on staff or students. This is no different than a DMV office or healthboard imposing these rules.

You want to make religious rules and judgements, start a private school and use your own funds.

My province implemented secular boards 15 years ago and it was the best decision they could have made. There are still religious schools but they are all private and get no tax dollars.

Archived