Premed 101 Forums

Seeking advice re:loans and payback

Emma15

Having talked to multiple financial institutions and inquiring about loans, I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the potential amount of debt I am about to incur for the next 4 years. Those of you who have graduated: how are you managing life and paying back your loans? Do you have any suggestions on how to manage the debt during the course of school??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Having talked to multiple financial institutions and inquiring about loans, I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the potential amount of debt I am about to incur for the next 4 years. Those of you who have graduated: how are you managing life and paying back your loans? Do you have any suggestions on how to manage the debt during the course of school??

my thoughts as an incoming year 1 med student are this:

don't worry about the debt... it will get paid off after residency and you'll be fine.

don't go crazy buying needless things, but also don't be so frugal as to not enjoy the next 4-9 years of your life.

from the blogs i've read and from what i understand after residency it's not unrealistic to pay off 70k of debt in a single year, provided you work hard and put some effort into paying down debt.

the blog i read by a female family physician in alberta documented that she bought a house, paid down 70+k in student loan debt and went on 6-8 weeks of vacation (involving travel and rock climbing- so that gets expensive) all while working locums in her first year.

anyways, just my take on it.

if you want to you can always try and pay down some debt during the summer, but again i'd say just set a rough budget and stick to it. have fun, the next decade is going to be tough enough without pinching every penny!

good luck!

my thoughts as an incoming year 1 med student are this:

the blog i read by a female family physician in alberta documented that she bought a house, paid down 70+k in student loan debt and went on 6-8 weeks of vacation (involving travel and rock climbing- so that gets expensive) all while working locums in her first year.

good luck!

Can you post a link for this blog? I'd be really interested in reading it.

Can you post a link for this blog? I'd be really interested in reading it.

it went private a few months ago... i never bothered signing up with her.

but i believe it's called... medvalleyhigh.blogspot.com

i think i'm going to sign up with her today though. i miss reading her posts.

Emma-I feel exactly the same way so you are not alone! I am not sure if I will get any money from OSAP due to complicated situation of having lived abroad for past few years. Which means I will have to use the LofC for everything, from the beginning...

However I guess I am feeling a bit more reassured that people can indeed pay it back from posts here on the forum. I also know someone in Emergency Medicine who paid down all debt in 2 years after finishing residency. But I wasn"t sure how typical this was- I mean an n of 1 is not exactly statistically relevent ;).

Archived