Premed 101 Forums

Finding a place to live

For everyone that will be attending in September, I had a few questions about where you'll be living.

Have you guys started looking for places yet?

Also to just get a general idea of everyone's interests, are you looking to find a single appartment place or rent with other PA students?

Personally I'm still weighing the pros and cons of living alone vs with other students in the same program, but i think it would be pretty cool to room with other PA students.

Maybe current or past students can weigh in on their experiences living alone/with others also

Hey Armada,

I actually already found a place on King and Forsyth and the main reason why I chose this house was because of its location. I know we haven't been given schedules yet, but I feel that the closer I am to my classes the better and so my house is literally across the street from the hospital. I could've chosen to commute but I think being close to class will help me with the workload so that's what I'm thinking.

Personally, I originally preferred to live with other PA student's, just because I think it would be good to study together etc. But I also think that because none of us have been properly acquainted, we may face some awkward/uncomfortable situations. Especially in a class with only 24 students, having individuals who become uncomfortable with each other due to personal reasons wouldn't be good!

My number one need was for the house to be close to my classes. Im hoping that everything else will fall into place.

PS: I looked for house postings on the hamilton housing resources website. But if you are able to go to hamilton yourself, you will be able to find a TON of houses with "for rent" signs VERY close to campus. That is how I found my house =)

Hey Armada,

I actually already found a place on King and Forsyth and the main reason why I chose this house was because of its location. I know we haven't been given schedules yet, but I feel that the closer I am to my classes the better and so my house is literally across the street from the hospital. I could've chosen to commute but I think being close to class will help me with the workload so that's what I'm thinking.

Personally, I originally preferred to live with other PA student's, just because I think it would be good to study together etc. But I also think that because none of us have been properly acquainted, we may face some awkward/uncomfortable situations. Especially in a class with only 24 students, having individuals who become uncomfortable with each other due to personal reasons wouldn't be good!

My number one need was for the house to be close to my classes. Im hoping that everything else will fall into place.

PS: I looked for house postings on the hamilton housing resources website. But if you are able to go to hamilton yourself, you will be able to find a TON of houses with "for rent" signs VERY close to campus. That is how I found my house =)

Nice, you already found a place which means you don't have to go through the trouble of finding one anymore :D. Are you living with other friends then? And how much is the rent? I plan on driving around in July and would like something close too.

You should have no problems looking for a place in July. The rent is actually not that bad, it's cheaper than my home in Waterloo and I'm basically paying $475/month for everything. That is still kinda expensive though I think, if you look around you may be able to find something cheaper (I know I saw houses for about $300-$400 with everything). Personally when I went, there were a ton of houses down the street so location shouldn't be an issue hopefully!

In terms of friends, I actually don't know anyone who lives in this house, but the reason I chose it was the location and also because the students are all older and it'll let me focus. If I want to study with students in the program (which will probably be very likely) then I wouldn't have a problem meeting at the library or at someones house.

Hi everyone, I too am beginning the PA program at in September and was wondering if I should move to Hamilton.

Here's my situation:

-I live in Mississauga ~45 min GO Bus ride in ideal conditions to McMaster

My options:

-Take the GO Bus to Mac daily and make appropriate accomodations for conferences on weekends

-Live on-campus with mature housing? If it exists...

-Live off-campus close by

Question for Current PA students:

-Do you think living in Mississauga will take a toll on my studies/take away from my experience/camraderie with my fellow students or is it totally do-able? Do PA students spend long nights on campus studying together? I remember the orientation prior to the MMI we were shown a typical schedule and it seems that the classes are short and in the middle of the day (coming from my memory..so I may be slightly off) with PA conferences on Saturdays.

Are there any PA students who commuted who can comment on their experience? As well as PA students who lived close by off-campus or on-campus who can also comment on their experience? During orientation I heard only 1 or 2 students commuted to Mac..

Lastly, are there any current PA students who I can connect with and ask more questions regarding their experience in the program?

Question for fellow New PA students:

-Are any of you going to commute from Mississauga/Toronto?

-If you are moving - are you looking to move in with other PA students/alone/on-campus?

And I guess-- Am I too late in asking these questions?

Thanks!

Are there any PA students who commuted who can comment on their experience? As well as PA students who lived close by off-campus or on-campus who can also comment on their experience? During orientation I heard only 1 or 2 students commuted to Mac..

Thanks!

I commute from Richmond Hill to Mac daily on my motorcycle and back in December-February in my car. About one hour each way. I love it, rarely ever had an issue as, for the most part, you are going opposite the heavy traffic (i.e. people commuting into Toronto from the West).

Several of my classmates commute from closer-by. If you have any more Qs, feel free to ask.

I commute from Richmond Hill to Mac daily on my motorcycle and back in December-February in my car. About one hour each way. I love it, rarely ever had an issue as, for the most part, you are going opposite the heavy traffic (i.e. people commuting into Toronto from the West).

Several of my classmates commute from closer-by. If you have any more Qs, feel free to ask.

Sick a fellow motorcyclist! I rode a ninja500 for 2 years but sold it cuz insurance is too darn expensive, what r u riding?

Aquacharm: I'm going to start looking at houses in a week or two and will probably go with other students- PA or not so there is still time to ask questions. I also commuted to school (UTSC) from Whitby which was either a 25 min drive or 50 min GO bus/train ride and it wasn't so bad; u can always stay late some days of the week anyway and make time for those social events.

I'm currently trying to find an apartment while living out west in BC and I have a question for the current PA students. I'm under the impression that most if not all of our classes will be on campus at McMaster? Having only been to Hamilton for the interview it's a bit tough deciding where to live but I'm guessing the closer to the University the better?

I'm currently trying to find an apartment while living out west in BC and I have a question for the current PA students. I'm under the impression that most if not all of our classes will be on campus at McMaster? Having only been to Hamilton for the interview it's a bit tough deciding where to live but I'm guessing the closer to the University the better?

Yes, for the first 12 months classes are on campus in MUMC and MDCL. You will have placements away from campus, sometimes close, sometimes far. I live pretty far from school and I manage. It all depends on how much commuting you want to do, if at all. There are plenty of places for rent in Westdale and off the West end of Main St.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the replies!

I was just wondering if anyone has looked into Binkley Hall or West Village Suites? I read that Binkley is a 5 minute walk from Mac and WV is 15 minutes.

Also, are any of you who are moving to Hamilton looking to room with fellow PA students?

• 3 months later...

Hello all current PA student,

Recently I have started my application for the PA program at Mac Master for Sep 2012, Can any one please discuss about Multiple Mini Interviews, I would really appreciate if some one can please discuss about their personal experience of MMI. What kind of question they usually they ask? How should we prepare for that.? Is there any reading materiel available? I would really appreciate if anyone of you can provide their email address. If you want to answer these you can post in the forum or reply to email address at dimahida@gmail.com

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Darshan

Archived