Premed 101 Forums

Question about publications for omsas applications

lloyder34

I am listed as the 2nd of 5 authors for a paper. I'm assuming they'll accept this as a publication even though I am not the primary author but can anyone confirm this is correct?

Also, the publication has been accepted but it is still listed as "in press", will they give me a hard time about that?

1. Will they accept these as publications? - Absolutely. They will accept these as publications without a doubt.

2. Will they give you a hard time about "in press" papers? - not at all. You can mention that they are in press, this isn't an issue.

good luck

Yes of course! As an undergrad, its very difficult to get published and even if you do, its usually related to your 4th yr thesis project. Given the nature of the publishing process, I'd imagine very few undergrad applicants would actually have a paper published by admissions time. It's quite common to have papers submitted by application time, just write it that way in the ABS.

Thanks for the info! I was fortunate enough to get my name on a paper through some nserc work I did after second year.

With regards to fourth year thesis projects, I remember something on omsas saying that publications (or maybe just research in general?) would not be accepted if they were done for course credit or as coursework, can anyone clarify this? ie What if you completed a fourth year honors thesis that managed to get published later on, could you use that in applications in the future?

Thanks for the info! I was fortunate enough to get my name on a paper through some nserc work I did after second year.

With regards to fourth year thesis projects, I remember something on omsas saying that publications (or maybe just research in general?) would not be accepted if they were done for course credit or as coursework, can anyone clarify this? ie What if you completed a fourth year honors thesis that managed to get published later on, could you use that in applications in the future?

Lots of people put their 4th year thesis work on OMSAS under the research category. If you get your thesis published, then definitely put it on your app. The OMSAS rule is mainly for classes in research methods or coures+labwork type things where you did "research" but it was as a course component rather than doing your own project (like with a thesis).

Archived