Premed 101 Forums

Writing MCAT with no Science Background

cokezero

I a have biological science background, but have only taken general chemistry at the university level (not organic) and no physics. Is it possible to self-study for the MCAT with this type of background and do well? Does anyone have any personal experience doing so? What advice do others have about how to prepare for the MCAT in my situation? I think I am going to use the Examkracker books - will these be detailed enough?

If there is already a similar thread, could someone please direct me to that thread?

Thanks everyone :)

If you use the search tool you should be able to find threads on similar topics. I think it is perfectly reasonable to self teach the science for the mcat. Especially considering you do have background in biology and general chemistry. The organic component is quite small now and not very detailed or difficult. I don't think taking an organic class would be of much use to you other than making it so you wouldn't need to study for that section. Your choice there, but the review books should be perfectly fine for that! As for the physics, I used the EK physics book and found it was perfectly fine as well. I haven't taken any physics courses on the electricity and magnetism, fluid dynamics, light and optics, etc either and found those sections of the real mcat (which I wrote yesterday) to go fairly well. The biggest thing is being able to pick what you need out of the passages and ignore what you don't. It's almost exclusively logic and problem solving ability in the PS.

Also, don't stress over the EK passages for the in-class exams (at the end of the study book) I found them to be quite a bit more difficult than the physics on the practice exams and the real exam. However, I definitely recommend doing them and going over whatever you may get wrong because it really helps your understanding. Also, if you still don't feel confident after that, get the EK 1001 physics book and go through that, whatever topics you aren't satisfied with, go do all of the questions on them and go over all of the answers, this will definitely cover almost anything you can expect to see on the real mcat. Above that it's just all applying logic with the information and minimal amount of equations :)

good luck!!

coke, im in the exact same position as you. only taken biology and general chemistry, no ochem and physics in university. I'm studying off examkrackers and it's really going well ! Sometimes if I don't understand the material, I'll check out other books (I also have Kaplan and Princeton for ochem), and there are plenty resources online such as khan academy!

coke, im in the exact same position as you. only taken biology and general chemistry, no ochem and physics in university. I'm studying off examkrackers and it's really going well ! Sometimes if I don't understand the material, I'll check out other books (I also have Kaplan and Princeton for ochem), and there are plenty resources online such as khan academy!

Khan academy is beautiful, forgot about that. He explains optics and organic chemistry very well! You should have no problems :) no need for taking formal courses!

I a have biological science background, but have only taken general chemistry at the university level (not organic) and no physics. Is it possible to self-study for the MCAT with this type of background and do well? Does anyone have any personal experience doing so? What advice do others have about how to prepare for the MCAT in my situation? I think I am going to use the Examkracker books - will these be detailed enough?

If there is already a similar thread, could someone please direct me to that thread?

Thanks everyone :)

Self-study is definitely possible in your situation. EK has a reputation for containing the "bare bones" that you need to know for the MCAT; so for a topic in which you are very comfortable/familiar with (probably bio in your case), then EK should be a good option to maximize your efficiency. Also, it is a good idea to use EK for verbal.

For topics that you might be less familiar, then I think TPR materials would be the way to go, as they have a reputation for covering science content more in-depth.

Its amazing that you can do that.. I don't think Id be able to study without any science background. I was just doing biology section today, and if I did not have any science background, then I think I would be very lost.. But if you can do it then that's great.,.

I'm doing the same thing this summer... I do have high school bio, chem, physics, but nothing other than that. I'm using Examkrackers and Princeton Review. I have done a sample exam and didn't do too badly considering I have NO univeristy science experience except chemistry. Anything is possible if you work hard enough at it!! Ignore the naysayers!! :-)

I'm doing the same thing this summer... I do have high school bio, chem, physics, but nothing other than that. I'm using Examkrackers and Princeton Review. I have done a sample exam and didn't do too badly considering I have NO univeristy science experience except chemistry. Anything is possible if you work hard enough at it!! Ignore the naysayers!! :-)

when are you writing your mcat?

Archived