Premed 101 Forums

University of Victoria Pre Med Club

Head Squeeze

In my very lowly opinion, you really shouldn't brand yourself as (a) 'premed'... from what I understand the kids that do that, especially the really keen ones, are shown a lot of animosity. By joining a premed club you're basically labeling yourself as one of those vexatious premed types (though I'm sure a lot of kids who do this are great people... unfortunately it's kind of a stigma that you accept when you go around projecting your self-proclaimed premed status)... you may also want to consider changing your username (and your location)... lol.

EDIT: I apologize if what I said sounds rude or insensitive in any way. I'm just trying to help by relaying information that others with a lot more experience have given me. If anyone disagrees with anything I wrote, please rebut and allow me the privilege of refining my expertise.

I wouldn't be caught dead being seen as part of a pre-med club.

lol yes. There's such a sad stereotype associated with premeds (from upper faculty to fellow students) that I avoid letting people know about my intentions unless asked or necessary.

One of our members, now in med, created a premed club at her university, whose members were given shadowing privileges of doctors in an affiliated hospital after much administrative and legal work was done. The insights she obtained were most helpful in validating her choice of medicine.

I was part of the premed club at my school. I was the director of community service. I organized community outreach events and exposed students to different volunteer opportunities available to them. I also gave talks on the MCAT and MCAT prep courses, the application cycle, etc. which many students found very helpful. I don't see why people "wouldn't be caught dead" being part of a group with similar interests... especially because the people who said this are part of premed101 which.. oh my gosh!! is the exact same thing except not in person! Premed clubs are a support network created by individuals whose experience can help students just starting to explore the possibility of going in to medicine. It can be overwhelming deciding to go into medicine and realizing what a daunting task it can be just to get admitted... I don't see why people bash a group of students who set out to helps these stressed students and make their live a bit easier.

Archived