Premed 101 Forums

Waiting List

Guest zeesh1

Guest zeesh1

Hi,

I got waitlisted at McGill :( Any one know how many people get in off the in-province waiting list? Did anyone else here get waitlisted? For some reason the admissions office people haven't finished entering all the decisions and so they won't even tell me where I am on the waiting list or how many people there are in the waiting list :(

I will appreciate any replies :)

Guest Med4life

Sorry to hear about that zeesh1,

I'm not sure what is the status of the waitlist this year, but I know that last year around june the Quebec government decided to increase the class size so everyone on the in province waitlist got accepted and they also had to do more interviews to fill the remaining spots!

I spoke to someone in the admin office a while ago and was told that the final class size will be determined in the summer so the same may happen again. That said, even if everyone accepts the offer (not very likely) there's still hope.

I hope things work out for you zeesh1,

Med4life

Guest noncestvrai

If you are accepted elsewhere don't reject your other acceptances as you never know, maybe this year they accepted more people right off the bat, and the waitlist will not move as well...last year, there was a crazy thing...people accepted following a rejection, so you can imagine that most people got in from the waiting list.

The point is you never know, but you have hope!

noncestvrai

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TyShams

Hey Zeesh, I was waitlisted as well at Mcgill. The first time I called them, at the end of April, I was told there were 38 people on the waitlist. They wouldn't tell me where I was except if I was on the top half or bottom half of the list. I called again today and was told that there are now 34 people on the waitlist, but there has been no movement as of yet, so I am assuming that people have pulled themselves off the waitlist because they may have been accepted elswhere. In terms of if or when the waitlist will move, all I was told is that applicants have until June 15th to refund their initial deposit, so perhaps some movement will occur at that time. In reading posts on this board from previous years, the waitlist has said to move around mid May. There is an admissions powerpoint presentation on the McGill website, here's the link:

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/facmed/facultymeeting/attachments/%%WORD113% 04R.ppt

Here's my take on the above link

The link states that the yield of offers is 74% (74 percent of applicants offered a place accept the offer). Of course, I'm sure that this varies from year to year. One of the tables also indicated that 141 offers were made for the MDCM program for total of 110 seats (US applicants (12) OOP (10) In Province (88)) This would mean that a total of 31 people are called off of the waitlist. Now considering the makeup of the three different waitlists (US, OOP, and InProvince), the degree of movement is probably greater in the US and OOP and considerably less for In-Province (for reasons not stated in this post). Conclusion, if your on the inprovince waitlist, you will likely need to be high on the list and also require devine intervention (or, in the case of noncestvrai, government intervention) for a decent chance. Speaking of government intervention, if the Quebec government decides to increase enrollment for this year, I would assume that those seats will likely be alloted to the inprovince cohort, that is, IF there will be an increase class size.

Cheers,

TyShams

Guest zeesh1

Hey TyShams,

Well, it seems as like every time we call they tell something different. First time I called I was told that 60 something students were accepted and 35 were waitlisted. The next time I called I was told that 72 were accepted and 38 were waitlisted. Now they told you that 34 were waitlisted and in that report it says that last year they had 88 seats for in province students... Have they decreased the seats from last year???

It's all too confusing and frustrating. Why don't they just give the right numbers and what I absolutely don't understand is why they won't tell us our exact position on the waiting list instead of saying top half or bottom half.

-Zeesh1.

Guest TyShams

Hey Zeesh, I feel your pain. I don't want to be waiting the whole summer for admissions to call me, but that's the way the wind blows (and that's why I bought a new cell phone). With respect to the fluctuation in the numbers, I am assuming that not everyone has provisionally confirmed their acceptances and admissions is continually receving them, hence the numbers went up from 60 to 72 and will eventually go up to 88. As for the waitlist, it's anyone's guess why it is changing so much despite the fact that no one has declined admissions yet (that's what they told me). In anycase, if you hear anything new from admissions, post it for everyone to know, I'll be doing the same.

Cheers,

TyShams

Guest milkyway

Hi,

I am also on waiting list. Would like to know how can I find out where I am on waiing list. Do I have to call the faculty every day or is there somewhere that I can login and find out ?

Thank you for your help.

Guest zeesh1

Hey milkyway,

You have to call them to find out your place on the waiting list. They won't tell you the exact spot, but they'll tell you whether you are on the upper half or the bottom half of the list.

By the way there's still no movement on the in province waiting list for MD.CM :(

-zeesh

Guest TyShams

I've been a bit busy with my research to call admissions and ask them about the waitlist. But I intend to call them after I graduate at the end of May. I was reading the threads from last year and according to noncestvrai, the government decided to increase the quota around the end of May (05/26/2004 was the date of the post by noncestvrai inidicating the increase in the quota). So it would be reasonable to assume that if there is an increase, it will happen around the same time.

Cheers,

TyShams

Guest milkyway

Many thanks and good luck to all of you on the waitlist

In the letter McGill asked for my phone number for the month of July and Aug, I don't understand why - since they may know the government decision by late may or early june. Why don't they ask for my phone number in june ?

cheers,

• 1 year later...

Archived