Premed 101 Forums

Reference letter from a TA?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an experience of submitting a reference letter written by a TA? My intention is to ask the professor to please co-sign it, since the TA is who I interacted with and knows me better. Would this work unfavourable for me? What if all three letters are like this? What about a letter from the volunteer coordinator/senior research assistant and then co-signed by the head of the study (with faculty appointment)?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :)

A TA letter should be the absolute last resort, even if the prof signs it. If you have all 3 letters like that...then you'll be screwed.

You should really try to do away with this co-signing business. Just ask the person directly and see what they say. Oftentimes they'll invite you in and sit down to chat a bit.

Agreed. I think it looks a lot better if a prof writes you a letter...just make sure it will be a strong one. Brainstorm a list of potentials and maybe you'll think of a prof you forgot about who would gladly write you a letter, this happened to me :-)

+ 1

I actually just got an email back from a prof (who taught me this year, but only spoke to a couple of times) telling me that he would love to write me a strong recommendation letter. And all I did was held the umbrella for him on a rainy day in first year before knowing I would ever take a class with him!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived