Premed 101 Forums

I have Cerebral Palsy and also some spatital acuity/ preceptual issues. I am in a wheelchair as a result of the CP. I really want to be an OT as I have seen first hand the good they do, but I want to know if it is even feasible or if I should pursue other thing due to the chair and preceptual issues. It may also turn out I can not get my drivers licence.

Thanks!

WG

Hi WG,

Of course you should apply to be an OT - having CP has no impact on your cognitive abiltity!!

You will need a 4 year undergrad degree then will need to apply to a Masters in OT. I think it would be great for someone with CP to be in my classes.

This is a great video:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9600885

Wow! That's really cool! I know it has no bearing on my cognitive ability other than the preceptual issues (which are a huge source of worry for me being that that is something OTs test) I also worry about my physical abilities like how would I transfer someone. I don't worry as much about my fine motor skills as they are not super impaired, nor are they perfect. I have heard of an OT with CP but she was able to walk and I am unsure of her preceptual abilities.

Thanks for your advice and engouragement!

I would talk to some OTs as well. This will help you to visualize yourself as an OT. It may be challenging for you to work in the physical medicine realm of OT where you would have to do more hands on - for example, my aunt is an OT and she does sometimes have to lift kids and move them around depending on what she is working on for them. But many OTs work in the mental health realm, so this may be something to explore as it would be more talking, goal setting, assessing, I would think.

I would talk to some OTs as well. This will help you to visualize yourself as an OT. It may be challenging for you to work in the physical medicine realm of OT where you would have to do more hands on - for example, my aunt is an OT and she does sometimes have to lift kids and move them around depending on what she is working on for them. But many OTs work in the mental health realm, so this may be something to explore as it would be more talking, goal setting, assessing, I would think.

I have spoken with my OT about it, and he says he thinks it's going to be a challenge, but that he supports it. He also told me that out of all the university professions I could chose, it is the most adaptable. As far as lifting goes, this may sound stupid, but why couldn't I use an actual lift?

Archived