Premed 101 Forums

Job @ uOttawa during med school?

Hello there,

I was just wondering if you have information in regards to reasonable part-time jobs @ or near uOttawa? I would like to make some extra cash during med school, if it is not entirely overwhelming schedule-wise.

If anyone has done that before, and if you have some information you could share, it would be fantastic.

Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous summer weather.

Cheers.

Hello Placenta!

I'm from the Ottawa region and I have a job suggestion based on my own experience. During my undergrad I was working part time as a hospital clerk at Montfort hospital (mostly in french) on the psychiatry and surgery unit (but you could also work at General, Civic, etc.). I really enjoyed that experience as it allowed me to learn more about how hospitals work and get more familiar with physician's orders. I believe it could give you a small advantage during clerkship and residency. Another upside is that the pay is really good :). However, you might find that working in a hospital while studying medecine will be too much of the same stuff all the time, but that is up to you. Personnally, I can't comment on the workload in medecine as I'm starting this year on the french side :).

Hope this helps a bit!

^so does most work in ottawa require fluency in both english AND french?

Definitely not but it sure helps. From my 3.5 years in Ottawa most of the people there understand English pretty well.

I'd never encountered a single person who didnt speak English.

Hello Placenta!

I'm from the Ottawa region and I have a job suggestion based on my own experience. During my undergrad I was working part time as a hospital clerk at Montfort hospital (mostly in french) on the psychiatry and surgery unit (but you could also work at General, Civic, etc.). I really enjoyed that experience as it allowed me to learn more about how hospitals work and get more familiar with physician's orders. I believe it could give you a small advantage during clerkship and residency. Another upside is that the pay is really good :). However, you might find that working in a hospital while studying medecine will be too much of the same stuff all the time, but that is up to you. Personnally, I can't comment on the workload in medecine as I'm starting this year on the french side :).

Hope this helps a bit!

wouldn't you have to be fluent in french to work at Montfort? or is english allowed as well?

wouldn't you have to be fluent in french to work at Montfort? or is english allowed as well?

To answer some of the questions, yes you do have to be somewhat fluent in french to work at Montfort. However, you could also apply for a clerk position at the Ottawa General Hospital (right beside the med campus), or at the Civic/Riverside hospitals. Even though the workplace will mainly be in english, you might have to know some basics in french as an important proportion of the Ottawa region is francophone. Keep in mind that there are other job positions that you could fill out in a hospital if your french is very limited. You could work as a "porter" (thats how they call it in french, not sure if the translation is accurate) and move stuff around the hospital (patients, equipment, charts, meds, etc.), or work for housekeeping.

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply! Just curious though, don't you need a certificate or some sort of management degree in order to work as a clerk? The job sounds sweet! Extra cash + educational experiences = can't ask for more!

Just like you, when I first started looking for job opportunities in hospitals I thought I needed some certificate in management but it turned out I was able to get a job after only a year of university and no experience in management. I might have been lucky but I think you have a good shot at it if your resume is looking good and you're a fast learner. They are often in need of new employees and dont always have the time to wait for someone with a management degree to show up. Sending your application online is definitely worth a try imo...

Hello there,

I was just wondering if you have information in regards to reasonable part-time jobs @ or near uOttawa? I would like to make some extra cash during med school, if it is not entirely overwhelming schedule-wise.

If anyone has done that before, and if you have some information you could share, it would be fantastic.

Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous summer weather.

Cheers.

I know a medical student who works at the Health Sciences Library part time : it's the library in the Roger Guindon building where we have our classes. The University of Ottawa has also many workstudy opportunities for students. You could always apply to be a teaching assistant or research assistant as well.

If you want something non-med related, look into serving/waitressing, although you'd likely have to already have experience. I plan on keeping my current job into 2nd year (as long as I can manage it!) and work 1-2 shifts per week. With good tips and depending on where you work, can be $30-40/hour

yep, definitely agree, a p/t job is manageable depending if you are the type of person who likes a busy schedule. I dropped most of my e/c's and work in 1st year med and ended up hating that decision. In 2nd year, I worked at a club on fri and sat, managed to keep up E/C's. and was VP Social for our class... its possible just make sure to keep your course load/studying (especially around exam time) first priority :)

Archived