Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree Eligibility

Guest nwoforlife2011

Guest nwoforlife2011

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding policies involving students doing a second degree. I planned on starting my second degree in September, but due to some course conflicts and application deadlines, I will not be able to enroll in a new program until the Winter semester. However, my undegraduate advisor told me I could start my new degree (enroll in courses like I would if I were in the program) and simply transfer into the new program in the following semester. How will your medical school view this school year? Will I be able to use all the marks I achieve in the entire year as part of my new degree or will they only look at the 2nd semester grades (since the 1st semester grades will be transfer credits)? I am planning to finish my degree in 2.5 yrs, but if I start my new degree in the Winter term, I am worried that I may only have one full yr for them to look at.

Thanks

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding policies involving students doing a second degree. I planned on starting my second degree in September, but due to some course conflicts and application deadlines, I will not be able to enroll in a new program until the Winter semester. However, my undegraduate advisor told me I could start my new degree (enroll in courses like I would if I were in the program) and simply transfer into the new program in the following semester. How will your medical school view this school year? Will I be able to use all the marks I achieve in the entire year as part of my new degree or will they only look at the 2nd semester grades (since the 1st semester grades will be transfer credits)? I am planning to finish my degree in 2.5 yrs, but if I start my new degree in the Winter term, I am worried that I may only have one full yr for them to look at.

Thanks

As far as I understand medical school policies, they will consider your marks, provided you finish two full years (so two full semesters per year). I'm not entirely sure, and perhaps the mods or more experienced people can comment, but I think this does impact your ability to get into med school after two years.

For one, I imagine your '1st year' is actually going to be from winter-end of summer, which means one of two things. If your second year ends up being the same way, then you're going to be late for the application deadlines on OMSAS, but if you start your second semester in the fall, I don't think you will have any issues in applying to medical school.

Archived