Premed 101 Forums

Prereq courses

Guest byjude

Guest byjude

When do prerequisite courses need to be completed by? Is it possible to take a prereq course in the Jan-April semester during the year of application? Can it be taken during the summer (ie, after an offer is made??).

Guest lothya

Included in a *very general* conditional offer of acceptance was the condition that all prerequisite courses be completed before registration, (i.e. before august) So it's probably possible... at the same time, they recommend that the grades you get in pre req's meet the cut-offs for GPA... So it's probably generally advisable to finish them before they review the application...

One of the more interesting comments I heard the admissions officer make this year was "we look for strong students, and if you're strong, you're strong". I took that to mean: "don't fret about the picky details, if you have a sturdy record, apply".

Guest byjude

Very interesting!

Thanks for the wisdom. I'd love to apply to McGill, but at the same time, as an OOP it's a huge huge crapshoot, and I don't have the time right now to take the second semester of orgo. If I received an interview, I know I could fit the course in next winter by distance ed or in summer school next year - so it's good to know I could possibly fill in that gap only if necessary.

I'll contact McGill directly to officially confirm, but that really is good to know!

• 2 years later...

Archived