Premed 101 Forums

How does U of C calculate your GPA?

Hi guys,

Does U of C individually convert each grade to their 4.0 scale and then take the average of all or your grades?

or

Do they convert your GPA from each "YEAR" of school to their 4.0 scale and then take the average of all of your years?

Thanks!

Each course is converted to the 4 point scale individually.

Please don't post if you don't actually know the answer.

Dr. Walker just answered my question on his blog, in which he responded “each full-time undergrad year is counted as a year, regardless of how many courses were taken.”

Plastic

You asked if grades are converted individually or as an average. They are converted to the 4 point scale individually, not as an average. Not sure how this does not answer your question...?

Dr. Walker is telling you how each academic year is treated in relation to another year, which was not your question.

Please don't post if you don't actually know the answer.

Dr. Walker just answered my question on his blog, in which he responded “each full-time undergrad year is counted as a year, regardless of how many courses were taken.”

Plastic

This thread is a conversation between pubert and plastic. I find that mildly funny.

Pubert is right. Calgary converts each grade to a 4.0 scale. However, the percentage equivalent of a 4.0 varies depending on the GPA system used by your university. This way you get a GPA of each year (could be different from your university GPA), and then they average the years.

It is as follows:

A+ = 4.0

A = 4.0

A - = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B - = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C - = 1.7

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

D - = 0.7

F = 0.0

If your undergrad university uses percent grades instead of letters (or even if they use both I think), they use the percents instead and have a different GPA conversion for that.

It is as follows:

A+ = 4.0

A = 4.0

A - = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B - = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C - = 1.7

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

D - = 0.7

F = 0.0

If your undergrad university uses percent grades instead of letters (or even if they use both I think), they use the percents instead and have a different GPA conversion for that.

This is what I don't get. My university gives my marks in both percentage and letter grades but my gpa is completely different depending on whether I use U of C's % to GPA calculation or letter grade to GPA calculation. If I use the latter, it's much higher =S.

• 1 month later...
This is what I don't get. My university gives my marks in both percentage and letter grades but my gpa is completely different depending on whether I use U of C's % to GPA calculation or letter grade to GPA calculation. If I use the latter, it's much higher =S.

Same here....did you just stick with the letter grades?

Archived