Premed 101 Forums

265 Rimrock Road (Willis College) DON'T TEST HERE

Just wanted to drop a note to anyone considering this test centre.

DON'T.

There was NO A/C and the place was sweltering. There was ONE fan and guess who it was blowing on? The proctors!!!!

Overall, it was inhumane. By Bio, I was ready to call it quits, i felt that lightheaded from the heat. I had to soak my shirt in water during the breaks to survive the heat, seriously. Also there was construction going on and the test centre staff were pretty unhelpful overall when I asked questions.

So try and write somewhere else. If I need to rewrite, it won't be here.

Just wanted to drop a note to anyone considering this test centre.

DON'T.

There was NO A/C and the place was sweltering. There was ONE fan and guess who it was blowing on? The proctors!!!!

Overall, it was inhumane. By Bio, I was ready to call it quits, i felt that lightheaded from the heat. I had to soak my shirt in water during the breaks to survive the heat, seriously. Also there was construction going on and the test centre staff were pretty unhelpful overall when I asked questions.

So try and write somewhere else. If I need to rewrite, it won't be here.

Daaaarnnn. That's where I'm writing...WHYYYY does it have to be so bad

It is in Toronto. I drove 2 hours just to test there to have a sub-optimal experience. I'm going to be complaining to the AAMC tomorrow.

Oh and if anyone IS testing there.... I found the building hard to find...it looks like a car dealership, the directions I got said to look at the wrong side of the road. It's not that strip mall of brown units, keep driving and you'll see it next to an ACTUAL car dealership. Go in and it's on the 2nd floor.

oh that sucks....is this in Toronto? Congrats on being done though :) How did it go?

I might be writing there...crap.

I think it went ok...I'm nervous to see how I did because I felt my performance was negatively impacted by their terrible testing conditions.

Oh and to add some more complaints:

1. There were WAYYY too many people in that cramped little room = gets it even more boiling hot. There should have been half as many testers (was around 25)

2. Your legs are right next to your computer tower so that gets you even more hot

3. The desks were so tiny, I had to put my computer mousepad under my keyboard to fit it and my paper and even then everything just fit

4. You are divided from your partner by a piece of reinforced bristol board

5. My monitor was crappy and old and didn't adjust back when I needed it (it was way too close) while others had nicer monitors

6. The proctors were gossiping and chatting during the last hour

7. The seats don't fit under the desk so you can't pull up your chair. My back is KILLING me as I had to sit straight up for the entire test.

I think it went ok...I'm nervous to see how I did because I felt my performance was negatively impacted by their terrible testing conditions.

Oh and to add some more complaints:

1. There were WAYYY too many people in that cramped little room = gets it even more boiling hot. There should have been half as many testers (was around 25)

2. Your legs are right next to your computer tower so that gets you even more hot

3. The desks were so tiny, I had to put my computer mousepad under my keyboard to fit it and my paper and even then everything just fit

4. You are divided from your partner by a piece of reinforced bristol board

5. My monitor was crappy and old and didn't adjust back when I needed it (it was way too close) while others had nicer monitors

6. The proctors were gossiping and chatting during the last hour

7. The seats don't fit under the desk so you can't pull up your chair. My back is KILLING me as I had to sit straight up for the entire test.

So similar to the conditions in prison. Why would they schedule an MCAT at place with no AC in July/August? That's just mean.

Willis College locations are very hit and miss.

The location at Yonge+ lawrence is known to be great - possibly the best in toronto. Its also right off the yonge and lawrence subway stop. To see a pic of the testing room, go to this website and wait for the picture of a room with rows of computers to appear. http://toronto-centre.williscollege.com/. People who take it there say it is spacious, quiet and great- this is MCAT heaven

On the other hand, the location by McCowan Road in Scarborough is pretty awful. http://toronto-mccowan.williscollege.com/ Wait for a picture to appear of a room with computers, and a large poster on the left. I was there in the heat of July, and was so hot that I removed my shirt after PS (and I was next to some obviously religious girl lol) Look at the pic on the website - those blinds were not there by the window when I was there - the sun was streaming through, making it really hot. I share complaints 1-4 of the OP. Cramped workstation, bristol board separating me from the person next to me, etc. Although the staff working there were nice FWIW....

Caveat emptor

I have to agree with Kickserve in regards to the McCowan location. I wrote there last year and while the staff were super nice, the rooms were quite cramped, didn't have enough space to put my rough paper and pencils on the table along with the keyboard. Also, I wrote in the afternoon last year and all the computers in the room i was writing in crashed at least 3 times. Granted, you didn't lose any time on the sections because the timer stopped when this happened but nonetheless it definitely threw your concentration off. Also, all the stations are close to each other (literally an arm's length away) so it's quite cramped and not exactly quiet. Thankfully, I got a spot at the Yonge center so hopefully it'll be a better writing experience.

oh no mine is at a willis college too but its

Test Center: MCAT ONLY

2570 Matheson Blvd East

Suite 116

Anyone have any experience here? It is in Missisagua. The first time I wrote the MCAT I wrote at a sylvan learning center in Saskatoon.. AC and only 3 people writing with me.. I hope I don't get these conditions from hell that you speak of lol

Aaaahhhh... I feel bad :(

I had a great experience when I tested here last year and I've posted nice things about this centre in the past. Sorry if I led anyone astray...

ahhhhhhhhhhh are you the previous rimrock road thread poster??? I googled it and a old thread about this centre came up and I picked it based on that!! >__< No worries though, if you thought it was a solid place, then I'm glad you had a better experience than me. Did you write during the summer?

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote at 265 Rimrock Road in June. It was a comfortable day outside and it was definitely warm in the room. It wasn't a big problem though. On a hotter day it might be more of a problem.

I found the testing staff to be very efficient, friendly and helpful.

The computers all seemed fine from what I saw. LCD monitors. There are keyboard trays although the keyboards are not set up on them. I just moved mine.

They kept the test room door opened throughout the test (likely due to the heat). This wasn't a problem during my test but if anything was going on in the hall it could have been.

On the whole my test experience here was positive but I can see where there are potential problems.

• 1 month later...
The more people complain the stronger our argument becomes, and the more likely it is that AAMC will provide us with a letter to send to

Could you let us know what they do about it? I'm just curious to know how the AAMC will respond to this.

I wish I had seen this thread before signing up to write at Rimrock. I just did mine August 18 2011 and it was HOT. They had one fan going, but it didn't help if you were sitting in the back (seating was assigned to you). You couldn't even feel the air circulate!

The air conditioning wasn't working and the heat was building in the small room really quickly. If you wrote that day at 265 Rimrock Rd. on August 18, 2011, I strongly encourage you to write a letter of complaint to AAMC. I already have. The more people complain the stronger our argument becomes, and the more likely it is that AAMC will provide us with a letter to send to medical schools.

You have to e-mail them within 5 days of having written your test. So that means Monday I believe if I count the day of the test as the first day.

Their e-mail address is:

mcat@aamc.org

You should include your name, AAMC ID, the address of where you wrote the MCAT. Also include what the issue was and how it affected your performance specifically (i.e. couldn't concentrate, left questions blank etc.)

To anyone who might be taking it here in the near future: reschedule if you can. I could not because I have certain deadlines to meet.

-Applicant2011

I wrote my letter July 7th and I have YET to hear back from them.........

• 3 weeks later...
Willis College locations are very hit and miss.

The location at Yonge+ lawrence is known to be great - possibly the best in toronto. Its also right off the yonge and lawrence subway stop. To see a pic of the testing room, go to this website and wait for the picture of a room with rows of computers to appear. http://toronto-centre.williscollege.com/. People who take it there say it is spacious, quiet and great- this is MCAT heaven

On the other hand, the location by McCowan Road in Scarborough is pretty awful. http://toronto-mccowan.williscollege.com/ Wait for a picture to appear of a room with computers, and a large poster on the left. I was there in the heat of July, and was so hot that I removed my shirt after PS (and I was next to some obviously religious girl lol) Look at the pic on the website - those blinds were not there by the window when I was there - the sun was streaming through, making it really hot. I share complaints 1-4 of the OP. Cramped workstation, bristol board separating me from the person next to me, etc. Although the staff working there were nice FWIW....

Caveat emptor

I wrote in the mccowan location and I thought it was fine. Maybe it depends what room you were assigned to? I wrote mid-August.

Archived